Can a OB boat be converted to I/O sterndrive?

rwerden

Cadet
I was just toying with the idea to put an enclosed sterndrive on my boat so I could use the covered engine area as just one more spot to cast your fishing line off of with out having to work a line in the water around the top of an Out board power head. <br /><br />Is this going to open up a whole new can of worms with my deck design and bilge area?<br /><br />Is it less expensive to buy and maintain an I/O than a OB?<br /><br />Any experience in this area would be most helpfull.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can a OB boat be converted to I/O sterndrive?

Could you do it? Yes.....Would it be worth it? No....It would be cheaper to buy a diff boat.

D

DJ

Ditto b.gagnon.<br /><br />It's alot easier to go from I/O to Outboard.<br /><br />I/O's typically have a different stringer structure in the rear of the boat to accomodate the engine bed.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rewerden There right Monster can of worms :eek: why not build a casting platform and hinged cover for your O/B Look around at some flats boats to get an idea many them of have rear poling platforms and high casting decks

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just converted from a I/O to Outboard and could not be happier!!<br />I/O May be better on gas and you may be able to work on it your self but I My opion a car engin was never ment to be in the water!! You will always be playing with corrsion on things like wire, oil pans, freeze plugs. manafolds, raisers, and what about the outdrive it self,You still need a marina to mantain that for you. A outboard is made for the water and yes it is more to mantain and more on gas but I think this is out weighted by yeard of great use if maintained proper.<br />The choise is yours but you will never see me going I/O again.