Can’t get outdrive fully seated

Aviator04

Seaman Apprentice
I have the outdrive on with another inch to go but cannot get it to budge. I pulled it off about a dozen times now and everything looks good. I’m in gear, shift linkage all lined up, everything greased. What am I missing here? shaft should be well into the coupler at this point, right?

Attachments

• IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15

flashback

Captain
The o rings on the shaft can sometimes stop it from going in. Grease them a bit and give it another try.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Some times I had issues with the U joints flexing enough to bind up the shaft so it wouldn't go all the way in.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If it’s in gear if you turn the prop slightly it might help the driveshaft splines to line up with the splines in the coupler. On my Cobra which gets installed in neutral I use a long thin screwdriver to turn the ujoints to get the splines to line up.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
did the drive come off easily? you on to the point of shaft engagement so either the shift shoes are not aligned or alignment is a bit off

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Unless alignment is really bad, when you get that close it seems like it's either the shift shoes aren't lined up, the O-rings were lubed too heavy or the splines are not lining up. First thing I'd try is to rotate the prop just a bit while pushing in on the drive. If you're that close to having it seat, I don't think your problem is with the u-joints; when I have that problem, the drive won't be that close to (or touching) the studs.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
same experience when mine has gone on that far and stops, it has always been the driveshaft splines, a little turn of the driveshaft & it slides right on.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As far as the orings, I have read that if you grease em the grease can get into the groove and make it harder to seat. I just squirt a bit of motor oil on the orings, coat the d/s splines with good marine grease and it usually goes right on after setting the gimble bearing with the tool, about 1/2 the time, I have to give the driveshaft a little turn.
Kind of like doing a clutch on an old air cooled VW, the engine would not slide all the way up to the trans axle unless you put a spark plug socket on the generator pulley nut and turned it just enough for the splines to line up.

Aviator04

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the tips & suggestions. much appreciated. Unfortunately, my back is done lol. I threw in the towel and dropped it off today. last week I had to pull the engine to change the flywheel and starter..so something weird is going on. Alignment looked fine.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
That is where the patented 'merkick' comes into play! Sometimes you just need a good boot to it! But usually rotating the prop while it is in gear will let it drop in.