Can’t get on plane

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Interesting

$70 on rain forest site with mixed reviews

Ime a power tune soak for a bit and brass brush remove stubborn gaskets quite easily and new gaskets are installed dry, ymmv

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice
Wow there is a lot more replies here than I expected, thanks for the help everyone!
I haven’t had much time to be around the boat, working full time and family came in this afternoon, but I managed to buy some tools for compression and fuel test as well as look a couple things over.
I took a short video of what the boat was doing before work, and took a couple pictures of the carb which I’ll try to attach, or make a link tonight. I also heard a pop that I’ve never heard before, I hope you can hear it in the video.
After work (boat was sitting for 10~ hours) I pulled the fuel filter off and when I did, I heard a slight hissing sound like there was negative pressure in the fuel filter (not sure if this is normal). When I dumped the filter out into a bucket, I saw what I thought was sand or rust, but once I put gloves on and touched it, I’m pretty sure it was algae. The fuel filter had a good coating on the inside as well.
Pretty positive this is my issue but I could really use some suggestions on how to prevent this in the future and how to get this out of my gas tank.

Sorry I’m probably adding unnecessary details but I have almost zero marine mechanic experience and an amateur level knowledge on general mechanics, so I figure the more info I can give, the more info I can get.

P.S. is there a special tool to turn the mixture screws?
Also I will have to link the video in a separate reply

Attachments

• A09B5490-1749-4FA4-B8E3-C32271A47568.jpeg
    A09B5490-1749-4FA4-B8E3-C32271A47568.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 87613C71-3CB7-4B62-9C15-736DF0C4CA25.jpeg
    87613C71-3CB7-4B62-9C15-736DF0C4CA25.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 485A9358-F96F-411E-910F-A44B75AD45D0.jpeg
    485A9358-F96F-411E-910F-A44B75AD45D0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 1182FDCD-24C1-47B1-84DD-1EDC87A16E23.jpeg
    1182FDCD-24C1-47B1-84DD-1EDC87A16E23.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 33EDDA60-0287-4945-B600-475A1AB63628.jpeg
    33EDDA60-0287-4945-B600-475A1AB63628.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • EBDB9258-835B-45D4-BE34-4A798B2E86D4.png
    EBDB9258-835B-45D4-BE34-4A798B2E86D4.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 15

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Any carb I've rebuilt were unmodified, they were factory setups so I can't really help with jetting and such. Looking at your fuel, do you have a steel fuel tank? That looks like rust particulates to me.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Wow there is a lot more replies here than I expected, thanks for the help everyone!
I haven’t had much time to be around the boat, working full time and family came in this afternoon, but I managed to buy some tools for compression and fuel test as well as look a couple things over.
I took a short video of what the boat was doing before work, and took a couple pictures of the carb which I’ll try to attach, or make a link tonight. I also heard a pop that I’ve never heard before, I hope you can hear it in the video.
After work (boat was sitting for 10~ hours) I pulled the fuel filter off and when I did, I heard a slight hissing sound like there was negative pressure in the fuel filter (not sure if this is normal). When I dumped the filter out into a bucket, I saw what I thought was sand or rust, but once I put gloves on and touched it, I’m pretty sure it was algae. The fuel filter had a good coating on the inside as well.
Pretty positive this is my issue but I could really use some suggestions on how to prevent this in the future and how to get this out of my gas tank.

Sorry I’m probably adding unnecessary details but I have almost zero marine mechanic experience and an amateur level knowledge on general mechanics, so I figure the more info I can give, the more info I can get.

P.S. is there a special tool to turn the mixture screws?
Also I will have to link the video in a separate reply
Ya gotta get that crap out of your fuel tank and clean the fuel system and carb. There must be a layer of water in the bottom of the tank to get algae in there

this tool or something like it is what is needed for the idle mix screws. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-55250-...adrajet+adjustment+tool&qid=1691678256&sr=8-6

Cliffs High Performance is the place for Q jet parts and rebuild kits. Mikes carb parts is also very good

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice
Any carb I've rebuilt were unmodified, they were factory setups so I can't really help with jetting and such. Looking at your fuel, do you have a steel fuel tank? That looks like rust particulates to me.
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it, but it’s an aluminum tank and when I touched it, it was slimey and soft.

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice
Ya gotta get that crap out of your fuel tank and clean the fuel system and carb. There must be a layer of water in the bottom of the tank to get algae in there

this tool or something like it is what is needed for the idle mix screws. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-55250-...adrajet+adjustment+tool&qid=1691678256&sr=8-6

Cliffs High Performance is the place for Q jet parts and rebuild kits. Mikes carb parts is also very good
Yep I’ll start working on that, is it possible/realistic to just buy a couple fuel/water separators to get the gunk out? At least to get it good enough to bring some family out this weekend without driving at a snails pace.
I appreciate the link, I’ll clean and tune the carb once that tool comes in.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it, but it’s an aluminum tank and when I touched it, it was slimey and soft.
Might be time to flush the tank. Remove all fuel, remove sending unit. I’ve flushed with water. I took a copper pipe and sealed one end,drilled holes along the end and rigged it to a garden hose, stick it in there and bend it to get past any baffles and work it around. Remove all water you can. I put a couple bottles of iso propel in and about a gallon of clean fuel. Get that mess out also. Then put in about 5 gallons, with iso in it, drive around a bit. Remove that fuel and put in good fuel, one more bottle of iso and run it. Worked well for me. If the tank is easily removable, you can just swish it aroun easier out side. Less hassle, less monkeying around.

kenny nunez

Captain
In regards to the tank also be sure to remove the suction tube internal filter.
It is a conical shaped fine mesh filter. There is a very good chance that it can also cause starvation problems.
You really need to have the carburetor looked at also.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yep I’ll start working on that, is it possible/realistic to just buy a couple fuel/water separators to get the gunk out? At least to get it good enough to bring some family out this weekend without driving at a snails pace.
I appreciate the link, I’ll clean and tune the carb once that tool comes in.
Hard to say from my keyboard...

I would use something like this

suck out the fuel into buckets or 5 gal fuel cans. Look in fuel tank see what it looks like . If you can flush the crud out maybe. Let the fuel sit in cans for a day if it looks ok and is not phase separated you may be able to polish it by sucking off the top of any sludge in the cans.

I did this when I had to replace a rusty fuel tank in my 65 GTO, after letting the gas sit I used the Mytvac to suck it off top of the sediment and pushed it through a paint filter. I recovered most of my contaminated gas that way. But it wasn't moisture or old sour gas...

If you can get the gas tank clean refill with fresh gas , purge the fuel line to the carb until clean gas runs then change fuel filter.

If you do that then yo still likely have a clogged carb so hard to say how it will react. If you are careful you can probably pop the top with out messing up the gasket too bad and clean it out, but again not being there hard to say. If it were me and I wanted to get on the water that's what I would do. If you can call and see if you can get a carb kit over-nighted. You have one advantage as it looks like your Q jet hasnt been previously molested. Screws look like they have never been off.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if there is gunk in the tank, it needs to be mechanically cleaned

good idea on removing the Pickup Tube filter

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice
In regards to the tank also be sure to remove the suction tube internal filter.
It is a conical shaped fine mesh filter. There is a very good chance that it can also cause starvation problems.
You really need to have the carburetor looked at also.
Ok where would the filter be? I know I have a filter in the carb, but would this filter be before or after the fuel pump?

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice

I took the carb off last night, will I need to disassemble the whole thing or could I clean the jets from the top/bottom?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I took the carb off last night, will I need to disassemble the whole thing or could I clean the jets from the top/bottom?
Do you have replacement gaskets or are you trying to squeeze this in before the weekend ? If you have replacement parts strip it completely down, get a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and soak it in there. does a great job.

Did you get the fuel tank cleaned out yet? no sense cleaning a carb to re-clog it

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice
Do you have replacement gaskets or are you trying to squeeze this in before the weekend ? If you have replacement parts strip it completely down, get a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and soak it in there. does a great job.

Did you get the fuel tank cleaned out yet? no sense cleaning a carb to re-clog it
I’ve ordered a rebuild kit from mikes, but it won’t be in for a couple days so I’ve given up on going out this weekend. I’m planning on using a small hand pump to empty the tank, or skim the water and algae off.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Taking off the air horn of a QJet is a bit tricky the first time you do it due to the design of the accel pump linkage & the choke linkage on the other side. I would always remove the carb from the engine if you lose a part or even worse drop one down the venturi you’ll wish you removed it. Study diagrams & watch YouTube vids.
Yes clean the tank as best you can.
On Boater Ed’s site there are links to a QJet disassembly & rebuild on you tube
Watch & study them

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ok where would the filter be? I know I have a filter in the carb, but would this filter be before or after the fuel pump?
Inside the pickup tube in the tank between the gas and the anti-siphon valve

Boatbuyingloser

Seaman Apprentice
Inside the pickup tube in the tank between the gas and the anti-siphon valve
Scott, I really appreciate your help and advice with this mess.
I was at the boat today and opened up the tank and it didn't look too bad. Unfortunately my fuel pickup tube is welded to the tank so I can't pull it out to inspect it, nor reach my hand in the tank to feel for the screen. Since I had already pulled the carb off a couple days ago, I put the fuel line running to the carb in a bucket and turned the motor over.
a bit of algae and fuel came out, but it couldn't have been more than a 1/4 cup which seemed low considering I was turning it over for 30 seconds or so.
I turned the motor over a couple more times, but only a couple drips came out after that first crank.
So I am thinking I've either got a clogged fuel line, or my fuel pump is going bad/clogged. Any advice on how to diagnose a bad mechanical fuel pump and maybe how to clear both hard fuel lines and rubber lines?
For the fuel pickup tube, I'm planning on draining most of the tank, then using compressed air to blow any clog or crud INTO the tank, and remove the rest of the gas/crud.