I've got a 1995 Mercruiser 4.3LX V6 and found out that I have a camshaft bearing gone bad making a rattle noise. Two guestions, what should I expect to pay to have this fixed and secondly, what could have caused it to go bad?
I had 3 mechanics listen to the engine and they have all isolated it to the same area. They have eliminated the timing chain because there isn't much indication by sound when scope is on it's cover and the fact the rattle is consistent regardless of RPM.
How much noise are we talking here - a light tick or low knock etc?
I find it very difficult to believe you have a bearing knock that doesn't change with RPM etc. Unless you mean the sound or degree of sound doesn't change "YET" the frequency/rate does? IE does the tick/knock frequency get slower/faster in conjunction with RPM?
Has the sound gotten worse over time, has your oil pressure decreased at all over time? Have you considered taking an oil sample (sent to a lab) to see what particles may be present - maybe pointing to a possible source etc.
I have seen worn cam bearings cause low oil pressure yet never a specific "cam" knock.
But,,,, hard to contribute from my keyboard vise having a scope in my ear hanging over your engine.
Keep us posted - good luck
And nobody here has mentioned the fact that the balance shaft rides on a needle bearing up front, which could be an issue
He said it's a lot easier for a mechanic to find something broken.
Has the engine been run with the accessory belts off, cam bearing failure is rare, I would put money on it not being a cam bearing failure.
Worn out cam bearings dont and can't rattle.