Campers: what gadgets are worth the $

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
All those gadgets on the camping isle at wallyworld; I want 'em all but I know that some must be worthless BS. Which ones have you tried?<br /><br />The coleman fuel filler valve is the best gadget ever - I never worry about spilling again.<br /><br />Those plastic egg carriers aren't big enough for extra large eggs.<br /><br />That shock-corded lantern tripod is so unstable that it's a hazard.<br /><br />The $5 canvas-top folding table with two drink-holders is a handy thing to have around but don't try to sit on it.<br /><br />What else?

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Campers: what gadgets are worth the $

the hatchet they sell is good as a paperwieght, nothing else.<br /><br />everything i own(for camping) i purchased and continue to purchase at wally world(walmart)<br /><br />our family camps on average 1 or 2 times a month, all through the year. mostly by boat on some on the intercoastal islands here near clearwater , florida<br /><br />we have 2 tents, 3 air matress, pumps, lanterns, fuel, grills, etc... all from wally world. and unfortunately, all from china. if somebody else knows of the same gear made here in USA around the same price, please email me

sangerwaker

Commander

For a lantern stand we us a garden shephard's hook. The shock corded stand does stink IMO.<br /><br />We use propane instead of Coleman fuel. Lantern, cook stove, and keg a cue. Also use a tent heater when it gets chilly.<br /><br />We always use airbeds, and a high volume 12V air pump. I have a battery (rechargable) air compressor that also has a 12V outlet on it to plug the pump into. You could also use some of the jump packs.<br /><br />We recently bought a Coleman tent light. It has an alarm clock built in and a hook to hang it with a caribeaner (sp?) in the top of the tent.<br /><br />Another good idea (my wife's) is to hard boil eggs and put them in those carriers that don't fit XL eggs. Makes a fast, easy breakfast.

ndemge

Commander

Propane and Propane accessories<br /><br />I love my 300 watt inverter and a couple strands of xmas lights, just enough light to walk around the campsite and not fall over. Also will have a cord ran to my tent with my shop light with air matress plugged into it (runs on 110v built in pump) Airs up super fast.<br /><br />I bring 1 or 2 seperate deep cycle batteries with me for this stuff, not to run off the vehicle.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I forgot to list the stove-top toaster - it actually works great. A little round metal plate with holes & four wire bread-holder thingies.<br /><br />We also got the cheapest 12V air blower we could find, it would be a severe overstatement to call it a "compressor," but not only does it inflate & deflate the air matts, it blows up the "Big Red" towable (for tubing) faster than the automotive compressors at gas stations.<br /><br />The propane devices are convenient but much less fuel efficient. Have two coleman fuel lanterns, one I think must be about 80 years old, the other only about 25.<br /><br />We got the propane stove, which is cheaper & easier to use but it's hard to tell whether there's enough leftover fuel to finish a meal. So I'm thinking about getting a propane lantern just to burn up the remnants from cooking.<br /><br />Also a burner that just screws into the top of a propane canister is another handy little thing to have around.<br /><br />and a light that attaches to the top of the tent with a magnet.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I love my head lamp. Beats a flashlight hands down. I also take an inverter and deep cycle battery to power an ice cream maker. There's something about making ice cream out in the bush that always amazes everyone and the kids love it. A dutch oven is a must have for cooking cakes and brownies and stuff. Chocolate brownies and vanilla ice cream. Hmmmmmm.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

My opinion would be to go to gander mountain or the like and buy the best tent I could. The first time it rains, the extra 50 or 75 bucks will seem cheap. In Wisconsin a screen tent to avoid the bugs is a great deal and they are fairly inexpensive. One of those portable jump starters has proven to be great. Use it for a myriad of different uses. <br /><br />Propane lantern and propane stove but watch out the glass on the lanters is easily broke.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

I can't say about the prices because it's been a long time since I bought any camping gear but look around for a Boy Scouts of America store. I'm not kidding. They had an unbelievable assortment of items when I outfitted 20 years ago. That's also the reason I haven't bought since - THE STUFF LASTS FOREVER!<br /><br />Cabela's is also a pretty good, not to mention convenient, resource for camping gear.<br /><br />My favorite item is a Coleman propane pack lantern. It has a chain to hang it from almost anything or you can simply stand it up on the propane tank. It weighs about 4-5 ounces (plus the tank), uses standard mantles, and gives about 2/3 the light of a standard Coleman gas lantern.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

dang DR..Iwana go camping with you<br /><br />some of our stuff is 18x14 tent with screened in porch,king&queen air mattresses,rechargeable air pump,little propane sunbeam grill from wally world that we use for "everything"4 of the old kerosene hurricane lanterns(love those things)and all kinds of other junk .We get a lot of our stuff at Uncle Sam's surplus store

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Our queensize blowup airmattres with sleeping bag combo. Only supposed to be good for 32 degrees, but one night out camping it dropped to 24 degrees. Kept the wife and I nice and cozy. <br /><br />Our next greatest toy is the wifes potty chair with the bags. Saves me 3 midnight walks a night with the wife when were camping.<br /><br />Sleeping bag was roughly 45 bucks, P/C was 6 bucks with bags. Well worth the money.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

And for my vote it is wally worlds sister store Sams club, this summer they had a screen Gazebo that is 5 sided and 15' across. Big enoufgh for the picnic table and all the chairs...This thing is so big and airy it feels like you are sitting outside without the bugs or sun. I think it was around 99 bucks and worth every penny....I love it. I would recomend anyone who camps to run out and grab on...If they still have them.

Best thing I got at wally world is that propane heater / stove. All you do is tip it on its side and its a heater, tip it up and its a stove. We use that thing ALL the time.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My kids got me a inflatable fire pit one year for christmas. Didn't work to good, it was pretty much toast after the first fire. Come to think of it, I think it was one of those small blow up swimming pools. Dang kids, they tricked me again..... :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Solar shower ...buy one and don't leave home w/o it. <br /><br />Everyone will appreciate it.. seriously! <br /><br /> :D ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Nothing, absolutely nothing tastes better than a roast or bread cooked in a cast iron camp oven.<br /><br />For the camp fire, the SS tub out of a washing machine, the embers are well ventilated and, more importantly, contained. It looks great at night when it starts to glow. Put a plate on top and its a BBQ. <br /><br />Showers: Heat exchanger running of your vehicles engine (not difficult to rig one off the camp fire), drop a bilge pump in the river or lake, also good for clothes washing (keep recirculating until its boiling hot), also good to keep the battery(s) charged. <br /><br />Lights: Propane is good but my preference is 12volt - battery power isn't a problem if you run the heatexchanger regularly (2 hrs a day?), not difficult to do if you are camping with the female species.<br /><br />Toilet: This is gunna sound wierd but a three sided toilet is the way to go, imagine your morning ablution with a view! A pit with a bag of lime - very cheap.<br /><br />Everything I've mentioned is cheap if not free.<br />Maybe its just me but when I go camping I like to leave the rat race behind, we often go for 2 or 3 weeks without the need to visit a store for supplies, vaccum sealed meat (& hunting/fishing), green vegies/fruit that ripen with time, bread making ingredients etc.<br /><br />Aldo

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Most of my camping trips are geared to fishing and time spent on the camp site is time lost from fishing.So everything I need is coleman lights and the super valuable can clamps (for lack of a better name).Put your open can on the fire and grab the top with the clamp/plier, poor out dinner in your bowl and get back in the boat.

datawire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess we camp diferently than ya'll do... my favorite gadget is the satelite finder that lets me find a signal through the trees before having to set the dish up and use trial & error. :cool: <br /><br />I think I have at least 1 of everything that Camping World, Campers' Choice, Campmor, Cabellas, Sportsman's Guide, and Wallyworld have to offer. But I'm always in the market for more! :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Best hand soap holder ever made for camping is an old pair of *****hose. Stuff a bar in the foot and tie it onto the end of the table or a tree branch. You never have a soggy bar of soap from laying in a wet dish, and you can't drop it in the sand.<br /><br />Other essentials:<br /><br />A heavy duty CANVAS ground cloth for under the tent. It should be 4-6" smaller than the tent. Will keep moisture out, and protect the tent floor from sticks and stones.<br /><br />A box of heavy duty ziplock bags.<br /><br />Aluminum foil.<br /><br />Wire coat hangars.<br /><br />Several ropes.<br /><br />Long handled kitchen fork or grilling tongs.<br /><br />Giant 2 gallon "coffee pot" for heating water.<br /><br />Toilet paper.<br /><br />Hammer.<br /><br />Tripod for over the fire.<br /><br />All the store bought gadgets are just junk in my opinion.<br /><br /><br />Hey cajun555 ? <br />"Our next greatest toy is the wifes potty chair with the bags. Saves me 3 midnight walks a night with the wife when were camping."<br /><br />How do you manage to get 3 midnights in a night? :)