Campatibility with OMC Cobra outdrive

Tgibson94

Cadet
So i picked up a project boat. 98 regal 2100lsr.
the block was cracked and it had no outdrive. Transom and gimble were still attatched to the boat. INFO... 5.0L MerCruiser, had alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive but it was taken before i bought it.

ive located an OMC Motor which is being delivered next week. i also located an OMC Cobra outdrive and its coming with the transom and Gimble housing.

My question is, can i take that OMC Cobra outdrive and bolt it up to my existing gen 2 transom and gimble or am i going to have to replace my gen 2 transom and gimble with the one that is coming with the OMC Cobra Outdrive?

New to boats, Thanks for the info

matt167

Captain
This is a major step backwards. Would not recommend going through with it. OMC engine with mercruiser accessories bolted on will be perfectly acceptable. Buy an SEI drive to complete it. OMC drive will not fit a mercruiser transom assembly. And OMC is obsolete. You wouldn’t want to actually put one together nowadays. Keep one running sure. Mercruiser or Volvo is the way to go.

Tgibson94

Cadet
This is a major step backwards. Would not recommend going through with it. OMC engine with mercruiser accessories bolted on will be perfectly acceptable. Buy an SEI drive to complete it. OMC drive will not fit a mercruiser transom assembly. And OMC is obsolete. You wouldn’t want to actually put one together nowadays. Keep one running sure. Mercruiser or Volvo is the way to go.
So stay away from the omc cobra drive?

SEI will bolt directly to my transom and gamble?

matt167

Captain
Yup SEI makes replacement drives for an alpha gen 2. OMC is obsolete marine corporation

Tgibson94

Cadet
Yup SEI makes replacement drives for an alpha gen 2. OMC is obsolete marine corporation
How about finding a mercrusier off a 3.0l? Is everything the same as one for a 5.0l mercruiser? Just change the prop pitch for rpm's?

matt167

Captain
It will work but it won’t be right. I don’t think there is a prop that will match the setup. They are the same except the drive ratio is very different

Tgibson94

Cadet
It will work but it won’t be right. I don’t think there is a prop that will match the setup. They are the same except the drive ratio is very different
Swapping different gears in could help? I just don't have $3k to drop right now and most locals want over $2k for a used one.

matt167

Captain
An SEI drive last I checked is under $2k brand new. Swapping and making it work will eat more money than you would think

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So i picked up a project boat. 98 regal 2100lsr.
the block was cracked and it had no outdrive. Transom and gimble were still attatched to the boat. INFO... 5.0L MerCruiser, had alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive but it was taken before i bought it.

ive located an OMC Motor which is being delivered next week. i also located an OMC Cobra outdrive and its coming with the transom and Gimble housing.

My question is, can i take that OMC Cobra outdrive and bolt it up to my existing gen 2 transom and gimble or am i going to have to replace my gen 2 transom and gimble with the one that is coming with the OMC Cobra Outdrive?

New to boats, Thanks for the info
If the motor is connected to a true Cobra drive, the motor isa major step backwards from the vortec headed motor you have

I would buy or build the correct 1996 or later SBC to replace your motor vs dealing with questionable OMC stuff