Cam for 96 5.7

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I know that but this guy doesn't have 30 years of putting motors together, which is often learned the hard way, hence have the machinist do the combo so the OP doesn't miss something

If he wants worry free stock performance and a simple build stay with stock components. Melling is quality stuff so if that is the stock replacement thats a good way to go and wont get him into needing to rejet the carb

I agree with PMT below

The two names I regularly hear as quality roller lifters are Morell and Johnson. The GTO forum I am on have seen guys roller cams get eaten by some of the cheaper stuff out there. On a pontiac it can crack the weak factory lifter bores.
For stock parts absolutely. There's some really nice high end parts out there too but summit reboxes and tells you that you are getting morel 7717 for one of their lifters. Iirc it comes to like 14$ a pop... cheap insurance for a quality part. I want to say it's the 217 model. They're considered an "LS7" lifter.

I have a roller setup in an xx 400 block in the 67. So far so good. They are comp tiebars but if memory serves they were after they switched vendors as they appear identical to the johnsons I've seen in the past. Dead quiet and so far have held adjustment on a... I can't say gnarly cam but it's not tame by any means....