Calling SWL and DXers

halfmoa

Ensign
Just wondering if any iBoaters are in to SWL or DXing. I started SWLing about a year ago and really enjoy it. I know there's forums out there for it but thought I'd pick a few minds on here. Quite frankly antennas are almost black majic to me at this point and I was wondering if I could get some insight on longwires.

half

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Calling SWL and DXers

halfmoa, if all your going to do is listen, you really dont need much. Any pice of wire maybe at least 5 or 6 feet will work. it would depend on what kind of radio you will be using to how you will have to connect it. you could hang the wire from a flag pole. type of boat would depend how. if you have a VHF antenna, that will work. 73's KD4LZL

halfmoa

Ensign

I'm getting really, really poor reception with the current vhf antenna I'm using. I can get better reception with a coathanger. The antenna was free so it's going to be one of my longwire anchor points. I'm going to try to go with a half-wave length running east/west because...well...I don't speak spanish well enough to run it north/south. I'm going for my technician license and will be borrowing a radio for a while and I'll be buying an antenna for that.

More than anything I was just throwing a "net" out to see if anyone else had any interest in the subject. Thanks Capt'n.

Oh, this is on my house BTW.

"Just wondering if any iBoaters are in to SWL or DXing. I started SWLing about a year ago and really enjoy it."

oh its a radio thing........lol

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Antennas are the black magic :D Pick up a copy of the ARRL Antenna book which I found cheapest on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARRL-An...ction_Book&hash=item23203197f3#ht_2096wt_1189 It even comes with a CD rom.

Stop listening and get your Tech ticket and work your way up from there. A nice receiver costs more than a regular 2 way HF radio.

There is a gentleman in my club that built his own radio and stays 95% on code channels. From VT with his simple kit radio he is able to make contacts in the Ukraine!! He had learned morse code in the military in the late 60's and said it came back very easy. It is amazing that he also contacts trucker's who code and drive since they do not have to look at the key.

The biggest frustration to the HF radio people is the antenna. I can listen and hear stations but unable to reach back ;)

Great hobby and lots of fun. This past year I upgraded to General and I am considering my Extra in the next few years.

Considering the repeaters on 2M around here I can do better on 2M then a marine VHF any day!

73's Bob BTW there are many people on iboats with their license. :)

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

well if your VHF antenna is not working that good, maybe you have a short in it or the connector. after all you said it was free, guess you got your money's worth " lol " Hope things work out for you and maybe when your ready we can set up a schedule for a contact. It would be interesting to see how many Hams are on this board. 73's KD4LZL

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I built long wire and omni directional antennas way back (yagi???) HF and VHF
Only real thing that I can remember is cuting the wire the right length for your freq and have johnyballs (porcelain insulators) at each end.
And use the right size coax for the wattage application.

Bob_VT

Staff member

FYI a Yagi is directional similar to the old TV antennas.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

FYI a Yagi is directional similar to the old TV antennas.

Last time I had to do this was for the an grc 106 and 524, and one big freaken harris monster. :p

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built long wire and omni directional antennas way back (yagi???) HF and VHF
Only real thing that I can remember is cuting the wire the right length for your freq and have johnyballs (porcelain insulators) at each end.
And use the right size coax for the wattage application.

I think you mean this may be called a dipole antenna, with just using a wire. ???

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I think you mean this may be called a dipole antenna, with just using a wire. ???

Yup, that was the word I couldn't remember "Dipole" whether it was field or static, get out the tape measure with the frequency stamps on it, cut the wire to length, put on the johnyballs, attach the lanyard, attach coupler and coax, raise it and still get the rad ops complaining about something or another! ;) :)

Funny thing is I am/was a trained rad/rtop that went line and I usually never admit to the first stuff!!

(could type and do CW) OMG UGH :eek:

Bob_VT

Staff member

Last time I had to do this was for the an grc 106 and 524, and one big freaken harris monster. :p

106 and 524 used whip antenna or the old 292 base antenna .... I am retired Army ;) Oh the good old days.

Yup, that was the word I couldn't remember "Dipole" whether it was field or static, get out the tape measure with the frequency stamps on it, cut the wire to length, put on the johnyballs, attach the lanyard, attach coupler and coax, raise it and still get the rad ops complaining about something or another! ;) :)

Funny thing is I am/was a trained rad/rtop that went line and I usually never admit to the first stuff!!

(could type and do CW) OMG UGH :eek:

One wire or Random wire antenna ....... the dipole was fed somewhere on the line but not at the end ;) Or depending on the design a beverage antenna.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

106 and 524 used whip antenna or the old 292 base antenna .... I am retired Army ;) Oh the good old days.

Yup, 106 (HF) you had the whip of the truck or a long wire dipole, for those reach out and try to touch someone moments.

Pulling this one out of my butt- 46 set x 2= 47 set (RRB???) these were the 524s if my nogins a werkin.

Although VHF, you could use the whip, the umbrella thingy or a cut to freq wire.
What was aircraft again, did DZ controler for a bit?

(still like the two cups with the string best though)