Calling epresutti

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What happened??

I was really enjoying reading your repair project link when suddenly the pictures were x'd out after May 13, 2006:'(.

The workmanship looks fantastic, is there any chance of seeing the rest of ther pics?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Calling epresutti

esprestti,

Thank you, that link works all the way to the end. Absolutley fantastic project, I learned a lot. Please keep on with the progress pics.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi again,

In viewing some of the pics, it looks as though you've radiused the edge joinery. Is this what was done? If so,
how did you do it. Was all the raw wood encapsulated then covered with glass.

Once again, the final product looks like a factory job to me-------very professional.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Safari,

Most of the radius you see are butt joint. I would glass the unseen edge and then set my saw at 30 degrees and cut the seen edge. After that I used a belt sander to radius the joint. Sometimes I just eyeballed it and used the belt sander, then finished with a palm sander.

Before I would sand the seen edge of any joint I would let the unseen glass set completly so that it would hold the structure while I butchered, er um.. I mean sanded the finish edge.

Also the gunnels are two layers of 3/8th plywood, with a layer of glass in between. In some cases I left a "tab" of dry glass between the layers to join it to other parts.

Everything has at least 1 layer of glass on both sides, I used mostly 3/4 oz.

I hope this helps you with your project.

Peace.

Ed.