Calling BassCat73 or anyone else.....

Pony

Rear Admiral
So next year I want to try fishing for bass around here. I have some problems. I have no expirience fishing for bass, nor do I have the slightest clue as to what works and where to fish in my neck of the woods. I know this is early, but I want to read up as much as I can and start researching some lakes now, so that next spring/ summer I dont have to screw around as much. Any tips would be great. Thanks in advance.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Calling BassCat73 or anyone else.....

Rent dvds or videos, or buy them on Ebay and resell them later. Join a Bass Club.

Ron G

Commander

Pony the only real way to learn is to get out and do it,every lake is different in one way or another they maybe a little change here and there,suscribe to bass master magazine,or other fishing magazines,if there are boat shows near you go to them most of the time they have free seminars on some of the how toos.<br /><br />I dont what your temp is up there here its 27-30 in the mornings and up to 60-7- during the day,the smallmouth should start biting here soon when it gets colder,you might want to try for some smallies.<br /><br />learning a lake the best way is to get out and ride,look at it real good go in the back of pockets,and creeks look for laydowns for bank fishing,rip-rap is excellent during the winter or any rock it heats up quicker when the suns on it.<br /><br />just get out and enjoy its not always about catching but the learning and enjoying life.good luck.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep it simple as far as baits go. Don't waste a lot of money buying all sorts of baits. There's so much stuff out there, that it'll confuse you when you're out on the water. Buy some soft plastic worms. I've found the the Berkley 7" power worms in blue fleck work on just about every lake in WI. <br /><br />Find out as much as you can about the lakes that you want to fish. If you can talk to a Bass angler that fishes the lake, he might help you zero in on a good spot to fish. <br /><br />What Ron and LD said. Winter is the perfect time to study up. Here's a couple of links that helped me in the beginning:<br /><br />This is a forum that gives fishing reports for lakes in WI. <br /> http://www.lake-link.com/fishreports/ <br /><br /><br />This is a site that has a lot of good information. Talks about getting started, how to taget bass, how to use different baits, etc:<br /> http://www.bassresource.com/fish/bass_fish.html

Pony

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys...<br /><br />I have a few magazines, and a DVD. And you are right its the perfect time of year to read up. Basscat, where around Madtown do you like to fish. I fish Monona a bit for gills. How do the Bass like that Lake?

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pony......My favorite L.M. Bass lake in this area is Lake Keesus. We go in the late afternoon when the skiers go in and fish til about 10. We just follow the shorelins and cast chompers. It's a small lake so you just circle the whole lake. The least amount we have cought and released in one night is 14 with 2 people. plus a few northerns.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Madison chain is very good for Bass, but it's heavily pressured, so it can give you some tough days. But there's a lot of good size fish in the those lakes. I usually fish 'em in during the week in the evening. The weekend draws way too many pleasure boaters for my taste, so I usually get out of town to fish.<br /><br />Divo, can you tell me a little bit more about Keesus? Are there good docks on that lake? What about submerged timber? I've heard of it, but never been there.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Keesus sounds intereting....do you ever fish either of the Cedar's??<br /><br />Yeah I hear you on the heaviliy pressured thing Bass, its crazy out there....