Calling All Ontario Members

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Calling All Ontario Members

I am hoping it happens soon.....heading up on April 25th or so and would love to see the water ...and envision my boat in it...

wrench 3

Commander

It,s usually pretty good by Easter but I'm not so sure about this year. I'd think there might still be a lot of ice still floating around, but hopefully a lot of open water also.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He's a lucky man.....I am heading up for Easter....looking forward to smelling the fresh air, and un tarping the boat...

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Yesterday, I watched a guy para-sailing on Kempenfelt while wearing short skiis, I think. There were some temporary ice fishing shelters in the middle of the bay. There is no open water visible, but probably a good time to wear a wetsuit and a PFD. - Grandad

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I noticed yesterday the ice is receding away from the shoreline at the Barrie Marina. We got our spring newsletter from our marina and they are planning on launching April 21st. :eek: I think that's a bit optimistic.

wrench 3

Commander

I noticed yesterday the ice is receding away from the shoreline at the Barrie Marina. We got our spring newsletter from our marina and they are planning on launching April 21st. :eek: I think that's a bit optimistic.

I was heading past Gordon Bay Marine on 169 in the spring a few years back. The bay was open but there was solid ice across the mouth of the bay, and as far as you could see out into the lake. But they were still busy dropping boats into the bay!

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the eyes-on update grandad and dawg - it looked pretty closed up on the city webcam shots. It is amazing that the currents between Couch and Simcoe are enough to keep the narrows open all year long.

Couchiching has no open water either. By the time it clears and warms up it'll be only a couple months then the ministry drops the water levels. We're pretty shallow near my place so it gets tough to launch.

On the brighter side the snowbanks are getting low enough in the yard to actually see more of the boat than just the windshield!

r.j.dawg

Ensign

We were up in Orillia last Saturday and took a quick drive over to the marina to check on the boat. There still has to be 2 feet of ice in the channel out to McPhee Bay. It is surprising how the narrows seems to stay free of ice all winter long.

wrench 3

Commander

He's a lucky man.....I am heading up for Easter....looking forward to smelling the fresh air, and un tarping the boat...

I was going past the boat launch this morning so I thought I'd take a picture of the lake for you. Ceasarea is way off on the far shore, but it is in the picture. That's Ball Point on the left and Washburn Island on the right.

bfa19bb6-74ee-41c6-a440-726f94e4967e_zps716ac0ec.png

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Love the pic....It looks like 1 or 2 more weeks to we see some open water....You would think with all the snow we could enjoy high water levels this summer...Last year was fantastic near me.

wrench 3

Commander

Love the pic....It looks like 1 or 2 more weeks to we see some open water....You would think with all the snow we could enjoy high water levels this summer...Last year was fantastic near me.

We can keep our fingers crossed on the high water levels. High water and low weeds make it a lot better for getting out of here.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Here is what the Barrie Marina looked like yesterday. The black spots are standing water. Things are looking promising. :)

photo8_zpsd779124f.jpg

wrench 3

Commander

Ceasarea, in case you check the forum before you head out for the week end, I thought I'd give you an update. We've definitely got high water levels.
P4170028.jpgI normally mow the grass for ten feet in front of the bench and then it's a one foot drop to the water.
P4170030.jpgLuckily were high and dry. Although the wife does complain about the walk back up from the boat.

P4170029.jpgThe ice is pulling back from the shore in our bay,P4170027.jpgbut doesn't appear to be in the main lake. There is a dark strip out from Washburn Island on the right that may be open water.

I hope you have a good week end.

PS I don't know how I got the extra picture on the bottom but I can't seam to get rid of it.

Attachments

• P4170028.jpg
    P4170028.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Well, the ice is SLOWLY leaving Kempenfelt Bay. We might get the boats in by May. :facepalm:

photo11_zps9a94addf.jpg

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Couchiching had a skin of ice well off shore last Saturday, but the winds took care of all of that leaving wide open water by Monday aft. Then the winds over the week did a good job blowing all the junk to shore. We're getting closer!!

IslandGirlTalk

Seaman Apprentice

I added my summer and school year locations to it. Thanks for the reminder.

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I put mine up too wrench - thanks for the heads up.

ceasarea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry i havnt been on in a week or two....I was up there last weekend ...the water has gone down maybe 18"....and yes i got the dock out...and inspired my neighbors to do the same..Boat washed waxed and even shampooed the carpets...Just got to wait for warm weather.