Callin Ladyfish

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Hey ladyfish, Hows the Politicking going. I been so damn Busy I haven't been around much to post, :( just to read. :( Fill me in. :) :cool:

Carphunter

Commander
Re: Callin Ladyfish

Hey JG is still an Admiral. I knew them Mods didn't like me. :p

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks for asking Jgregory. Election day Saturday, May 15th.<br /><br />Three open slots, two encumbants and eight candidates all total.<br /><br />I'll be parked outside city hall on Saturday gripping and grinning and Mr. LadyFish and the kiddos will be tooling around by boat to remind everyone to get out and vote.<br /><br />Its really a crap shoot as to who will win the third seat. I believe the two encumbants will be re-elected.<br /><br />We shall see. My signs are everywhere and I spent time discussing issues and concerns with our residents. I wish there was time for more campaigning. There was only an opportunity to speak at tow open forums, but I did well and gained many votes I didn't realize I had.<br /><br />If I win I'll be celebrating....if I lose, I'll be celebrating. If its meant to be, I'll take on every challenge and be totally committed. If its not, then I'll have more time to fish.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Good luck, and I like your attitude. I think you would make a great council woman. Send me an absentee ballot and a valid address I'll vote for you. Oh wait, this isn't Florida. :p <br /><br />Carpy, I wasn't going to say anything wanted to see how long it would take. ;) :D :p

LadyFish

Admiral

Yep, I dove right into this campaign<br />
032304122701PM.gif
<br /><br />election day is tomorrow 7-7. Wish me luck. :)

Carphunter

Commander

I was just jealous jg. :p <br /><br />Yes Ladyfish, let us know, 'cause we have to come up with a whole bunch of "Council-woman" jokes. :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

Go get 'um LadyFish.<br /><br />I wish you the best of luck in the upcomming election.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> Go get 'um LadyFish.<br /><br />I wish you the best of luck in the upcomming election.
uhhhh, KKC, it was the 15th. :p

KennyKenCan

Commander

I must have been distracted by that kid in that little video feed there, or a fly went up my nose or something, or maybe I've just been working too many hours and I can't read a calander anymore, plus the price of gas is getting to me, Frank Zappa is playing Dinah-Moe-Humm on my radio, and I wish I could take the next 6 years off with pay, all because I deserve it!!!

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

^ Still waiting to hear!!<br /><br />Signed<br /><br /> Anxious

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe she's too busy making acceptance speaches!

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe she's too busy making acceptance speaches!

gaugeguy

Captain

See, you get elected and all of a sudden you forget the little people and where you came from :rolleyes:

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the hold up posted in our paper<br />Published May 17, 2004<br /><br />GALVESTON — A malfunctioning vote counter and numerous faulty ballots delayed the tabulation of election results for more than 12 hours, poll workers say. <br /><br />A final count for city council and proposition votes was not certified until 10:15 a.m. Sunday morning. <br /><br />Barbara Lawrence, city secretary, said poll workers had to hand count ballots rejected by the ballot machine, which malfunctioned several times Saturday night and Sunday morning. <br /><br />A technician was called to correct the problems about 2 a.m. Sunday, but didn’t arrive until 4 a.m., officials said.<br /><br />Despite earlier reports, poll workers said there was never any question about the accuracy of the machine’s count. <br /><br />Around 9 p.m. Saturday, mayoral candidate Johnny Smecca and Mayor Roger “Bo” Quiroga raised that issue with the first early vote count, saying it appeared to be off by 200 to 300 votes. <br /><br />Suzanne Peloquin, a poll watcher, said the count was accurate, but the machine rejected about 90 ballots that had to be hand counted. <br /><br />The machine continued rejecting ballots when boxes brought in from precincts were counted, she said. All those ballots had to be counted by hand, as well, she said. <br /><br />Many had been inaccurately filled out, Peloquin said. <br /><br />Some mail-in ballots were filled out in pen rather than pencil. Other ballots had vote choices circled rather than filled in. In some cases, voters had bubbled in the margins or marked along the scanner section of the ballot. <br /><br />Peloquin said poll workers tried to correct the errors and get the votes counted. <br /><br />“Everything was done to make sure the voters’ wishes were honored,” she said.<br /><br />Candidates and their supporters stayed at city hall until about 2 a.m. waiting for results. Many returned later in the morning, only to wait for hours more. <br /><br />About 300 ballots had to be hand counted by poll workers. <br /><br />Steve LeBlanc, city manager, said he planned to have the counting machine assessed. He said this and better voter education will help prevent a similar mishap from occurring in the future.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

probably still nursing the hangover from the celebration party.<br /><br /><br />or, the weather has finnaly been exceptional here....she could be out fishing while we're slaving away!

LadyFish

Admiral

Sorry to say but I lost. With 8 of us running it was a crap shoot and I really didn't have any illusions of winning this year. I really just wanted to get my name out there and go through the process. Next year there are two seats on council and the mayor position open. I will run again.<br /><br />In the meantime, I am getting more involved in the city fundraisers and making myself as visable as I can.<br /><br />Thanks for your support everyone.