Called out for a "Burning Cow" fire

KRS

Banned
Well, it's my first! Had a "Burning-Cow" alarm. Guess the farmer should have given the full story. We ran hard and fast to the call, not knowing what exactly we had. Turned out the farmer had a cow die so he torched it to prevent the spread of disease. Then he began to worry about the strong winds and exposed brush, so he called us!<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />Anyone bring the A-1 Sauce? :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Called out for a "Burning Cow" fire

Its better to be over cautious than to take a chance of things getting out of hand. I think the farmer did best by calling. Some of the major fires in the country have been started by a much smaller source. Keep up the good work AZ!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

cool #63.<br />i finally figured out your screen name. :)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Must have been hard to do. I Know I couldn't handle it. Glad there are guys like you who can.

KRS

Banned

I am a FF in Arizona (AZ), and my radio number is 63.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Okay, I'm sorry but I thought the letters AZ were meant to be between L and Y? Ooops! Sorry :eek:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well .. i guess thats better than an "out of control candle fire"<br /><br />my ex's cousin made candles with cute decorative leaves on the outside of the candles (molded in with wax I think) she lit one and in a few minutes the wax melted and she had herself a wax ball of fire.. called the fire department, buddy was on that night and told me all he needed to do was put a cooking pot over it to snuff it out..<br /><br />what a riot!<br /><br />I think that ranks up there with "burning cow" :p

gonfishn

Commander

Never been to a cow fire but I have been on a few more colorful ones in my hayday..That was over 20 years ago..<br /><br />Are you also a medic..I know some departments have you train for both..Just curious..

KRS

Banned

Had a lady up the hill light a candle and forget about it. It burned into the wooden table and filled the room with smoke. She woke up (amazing) and proceeded to beat the fire with a small area rug, effectively pushing it onto some drapes and up the wall. So she beats that for a while, then decided to call 911.<br />.<br />We get there, working structure fire, fire went up the wall, perforated the wall, into the attic (no fire blocks) and roared through the attic spreading into the adjacent rooms.<br />.<br />We vented the roof and made an aggressive interior attack (external walls block only 40% of the structure burning), my buddy broke his helmet (timber fell) and ash burned into the fireproof coating on mine (???). Pushed the fire back into the already burning portion and put it out.<br />.<br />She was transported to the hospital, had black lips and mouth from smoke inhalation... she lived. She is an 82 yr old widow.<br />.<br />Time to RANT!!! The corner house decided the fire plug (hydrant) was too ugly so they planted prickly pear around it... needless to say their plant didn't survive the halligan tool :mad: :D <br />.<br />Not a medic here, just a hose jockey :rolleyes:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

prickly pear around a fire hydrant? what in the world kind of thought process led to that, I wonder?<br /><br />But unless you uprooted it, I bet the plant did survive. It'll be back...

KRS

Banned

We did more than uproot it ;) ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Hey #63, a fire fighter here also - in my spare time!<br /><br />Yeah there are always some strange fire calls, but never a burning cow! Also run the the QRS unit, as well as hose jockey. Got a call one day for a boy with his fingers stuck in a lazy susan! New construction - got to tear out their kitchen!

ebbtide176

Commander

We did more than uproot it ;) ;) <br />
LOL<br /><br />i don't blame you one bit. and i think you should've given the homeowner a lecture too ;) <br /><br />back when i ran a paper route, i felt like carrying a sprayer of roundup for all those mailboxes with vines/bee nests all over them :D if i got stung, i'd leave a note in the box & their paper in the damp grass. well, actually if i even had to swat at bee/wasps more than @ twice :)

KennyKenCan

Commander

Never been to a cow fire before, but I have been to a dog fire once!<br /><br />Some jerk set a neighbors dog on fire because it wouldn't stop barking.<br /><br />We chased that dog for 15 minutes thru the woods before it finally just gave in and died. We had multiple brush fires started as a result.<br /><br />They sentenced the guy to 15 years for the abuse to this dog! 15 years was not enough in my opinion.<br /><br />I'll never forget the dispatcher though, when he made the call...<br /><br />"Ahhhh, KEC-721, ahhhh, on the air with a ahhh, ahhh, signal 23, ahhh, ahhh, Locust Ave and the Rail Road tracks, ahhh, ahhh, ummmm, DOG FIRE! Ahh, Company 2, ahhh yeah, Company 2 to respond..., ahh, signal 23, ahhh DOG FIRE!"<br /><br />That was about 20 years ago...<br /><br />Probably had to be there to understand what I'm talking about with the dispatcher, but I'll never forget it!

KRS

Banned

hahaha, we ALWAYS know how bad the call is just by listening to the dispatcher loose their composure.<br /><br />I love the dispatcher calling... "uhhhhh, law enforcement assist"<br /><br />That is radio talk for "Get Ready For Something Weird"<br /><br />hehehe, Made me laugh KKC