Cadillac Of The Skies..... memories...(sigh)

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cadillac Of The Skies..... memories...(sigh)

I would think the Mustang could carry and drop Napalm nicely.

D

DJ

The Brits did indeed give the plane the moniker-Mustang. With the Allison engine the Brits called it a "gelding". The Merlin woke it up.<br /><br />This aircraft went from idea to flying in 90 days. I don't think we could pull that off today.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was a kid there was a speedboat here that had the Allison engine in it. Probably a better use for it by all accounts.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Grant S:<br /> When I was a kid there was a speedboat here that had the Allison engine in it. Probably a better use for it by all accounts.
Tractor pulls too :D <br /><br />Multi engine even<br />
challenger.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

booyal<br /> nope<br /> it was in a book I read on warbirds years ago. showed one of the design concepts being tested, I dont think it ever flew. was a time when getting motors was tricky.<br /> there is some super reading on the net here and there about engine production worl wide in the 1900's to the 1970's.<br /> one day I will find a rotary valve motor to playwith or a sleeve valve. seems a lot of warbirds kinda got what motors were avalible at the time. or military at the start of WWII was about 30 years behind everyone elses. we did not out fight the Germans. we out supplied them. I still wonder what would have happened if hitler had used German jewish technology with russian manpower and resources instead of killing off the people that had the knowledge and attacking his allies that had the manpower and raw materiels.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best sight my father had in december 1944 when a couple of P51's zoomed him on his bike and shot up the german roadblock waiting for him (and his potatoes aquired at a farm 35 kilometers away). It took my parents through the winter and might be the reason I'm boating now. Love the bird :D <br />Frank

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow! Some testimony. Wish I could see that image you father had in his mind all these years. What an mental film clip!

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

His favourite picture was the one in which my uncle (flyer for dutch army) passed below our house in Indonesia through the canyon. This was before we all were kicked out in 1958. BIL got the scare of his life when he saw the telephonewires crossing the canyon when he visited us. Didn't see them before. I think you're right Gil, the P51 made a big impression on him, because if he'd been caught, he'd either been shot as a blackmarketeer or worked to death in Germany. He loved the picture for the bird, not for BIL.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brother in law ? My uncle, his wife's brother :)