Cadillac Of The Skies..... memories...(sigh)

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
P51c.jpg

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cadillac Of The Skies..... memories...(sigh)

That is one sweet lookin aircraft and a beautiful photograph to boot!

RetNav

Yep, and when it was called upon to do a job, it really delivered

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotta agree, aside from one of the most beautiful aircraft of it's era, it was one hail of a warbird.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Lark2004......no way, no contest(IMHO of course).<br />Gil009...I would say it's more akin to "Corvette of the skies" than Caddy ;) .<br /><br />Here's your Caddy<br /><br />
2773.jpg

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but they did beat the germans with enourmous odds against them. They really were The air superiority fighter off their day.

McGR

For what it's worth... The Mustang was somewhat of a dog until it started using the Rolls-Royce Merlin (Spitfire) engine.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

A saying came about in WWII that describes the Mustang well: "The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin". P51s had a staggering amount of fuel capacity, and with the addition of disposable external fuel tanks could range upwards of 2,000 miles - full operational distance for most bombers. They weren't the best turning planes in the air, but by the time they were widely in use, pilots understood that turning was a very limited performance characteristic in combat - what was required of newer fighters was speed. And the P51 had it in droves; it was faster than almost everything in the air, climbed reasonably well, and suffered much less high speed maneuverability loss than most of its opponents, due to the wing design. When it came to high speed fights the P51 was very much in its element - it had flaps specifically designed to deploy at almost any speed, an airframe with tolerances that reached into high G range, good dive acceleration, and steady horsepower even at very high altitude. I guess they both have their strong points.

Stumpknocker

Dave, I believe that when the Mustang aquired the British engine it was indeed supreme. Without the British engine it had some shortcoming. I can't remember exactly what they were, but when they bred the two together the Mustang was even more AWESOME!<br /><br />Soulwinner you are correct... You get the prize. I wondered if anyone would get the title...Cadillac of the Skies. From the movie Empire Of The Sun. What a fly by of Mustangs!! Worth having the movie just for the P51's in it.

Stumpknocker

Dave, I recognize the yellow biplane, but can't remember the name of it.....? :confused:

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I belive that the p-51A/B suffered high altitude power loss with the allison motor. At first the brits used it in low altitude ground support/attack in north africa.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by bluewater19:<br /> I belive that the p-51A/B suffered high altitude power loss with the allison motor. At first the brits used it in low altitude ground support/attack in north africa.
True, bluewater. It seems that the P51 was not the only plane we built that took the Brits to figure out what to do with them. Until they experimented in stuffing in the RR Merlin, the P51 was only mediocre. It really wasn't all that good for ground attack either. Because it was coolant cooled it was extremely vulnerable to even small arms fire cutting the coolant lines going to the radiator in the scoop at the rear lower fuselage. A radial was much better. They could take hits right in the (a) cylinder and keep right on flying.<br /><br />The other plane was the quite incredible Vought F4U Corsair. It took the Brits to figure out how to land them on an aircraft carrier. Once done we were able to start using them off the carriers in the Pacific.<br /><br />Because of the extremely long nose and the landing angle of attack, the pilot did not have sufficient visibility to land, straight in, on an aircraft carrier. The Brits figured out that you could side slip (crab) the plane right down to the deck then straigten it out just before the landing gear hit the deck. You can see this manuever clearly in old war films. The pilot would then have excellent visibility out the side of his cockpit to judge altitude and landing point.<br /><br />All a clear indication why us Cousins should love one another and stick together in this frightfull world. ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the p51 proto with a radial would not work did not like the drag.I think all the v configured motors were liquid cooled. the allison was a mutt. but the c series with the rolls gave it about the best all around single engine fighter capeabilities of any piston engine air craft and was even more flyable than some earl jets. what was so incredible is the amount of time elapsed between a dream on paper and shooting at others. would never happen today.<br /> http://www.vectorsite.net/avp51.html <br /> some good reading<br /> I have a lot of books on this versitale aircraft.

Stumpknocker

I think this aircraft mass produced today could still play a nich role in todays military.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Gil009:<br /> I think this aircraft mass produced today could still play a nich role in todays military.
It would sure be a lot cheaper to build and operate but those AK-47's are pretty mean at close range. ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> the p51 proto with a radial would not work did not like the drag.
Rodbolt, do you have any links that show the p51 radial prototype??