cable steering + trolling motors: what is the Right Way™ to do this?

0xKruzr

Recruit
Hi all, I have a "no gas allowed" restriction on most of the lakes around me and as such am building out propulsion for a boat with more or less the strongest trolling motors I can find. I would really like to banish the tiller on it entirely. I'm perfectly comfortable disassembling the head to do things like replace the throttle with a nice PWM for way more efficient speed control. The thing I have not been able to figure out is how to steer the trolling motor with a cable assembly.

I thought about doing "fly by wire," but while it's simple enough to put a gear assembly onto a servo and turn the shaft back and forth, software for managing such a beast together with intuitive hardware to control it is still Wild West territory as far as I can tell. Off the shelf solutions are typically obscenely expensive at the power level I'm looking for -- e.g. I have found a 24V 5HP motor for $800, but anything remotely similar with electric steering is upwards of $1600.

Similarly, an off the shelf cable steering solution -- the only one I can gather exists, and even then I think it's not actually purchaseable as their website is broken -- is equally spendy. $1800 is literally what I am spending on a pontoon boat in reasonably good condition, and, well: https://www.amazon.com/Caroute-W400...ing+motor+steering+kit&qid=1681772499&sr=8-16

So, I'm curious if anyone knows of any reliable solutions here. I could try building something myself but I really don't want to trust steering on a somewhat large boat to my own questionable metal and/or woodworking skills. I've tried looking through eBay for the parts that permit "real" outboard motors to do this, but have so far come up with nothing, probably because I don't know the terms of art for the parts in question! Thanks for any hints.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Ever consider hydraulic steering? Easy to install and maintain.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my area folks used to adapt a power window motor and threaded rod to steer a trolling motor.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The thing I have not been able to figure out is how to steer the trolling motor with a cable assembly.
the set up would be no different than steering an outboard. the push-pull cable would attach to a point about 6" from the trolling motor pivot.

however there is a whole line of remote control minn kota knock-offs on amazon for about 700 or less.

just steer with the key fob

0xKruzr

Recruit
Ever consider hydraulic steering? Easy to install and maintain.
They would have the same problem of trolling motors not having the physical mount point available.

In my area folks used to adapt a power window motor and threaded rod to steer a trolling motor.
Ha! Love that. I guess if the gearing ratio was right it could be plenty responsive.

the set up would be no different than steering an outboard. the push-pull cable would attach to a point about 6" from the trolling motor pivot.

however there is a whole line of remote control minn kota knock-offs on amazon for about 700 or less.

just steer with the key fob

Yes, but the <$700 ones are like, 55 lbs, and the motor I have on order from Haswing for $800 is 5HP.