cable steering to hydraulic steering old p/s pump

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
1988 mercruiser 5.0lx motor ,switching from cable steering to hydraulic steering ,i am also adding raymarine ev150 autopilot.with type 1 pump I have added hydraulic helm,and ran hoses to back of boat ,so i took old helm box, ram and cable out of boat, My question is what to do with old power steering pump and hose from oil cooler ,i am not going to use power assist on new hydraulic steering ,do i remove old power steering pump entirely ,and what about the power steering cooler that hoses run thru ,do i get new hose to run from thermostat housing to outdrive (this is hose that runs under motor) ,so can i eliminate old power steering pump and all hoses to this ,thank you in advance

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Tie the input and output hoses together and simply pull the belt

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok ,cool do i drain the fluid out so i will be dry ,but disabled ,and what about the hose from the p/s pump to ram ,pull off completely?

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
and take pump fluid cooler total out, and replace with adapter to connect hoses?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ok ,cool do i drain the fluid out so i will be dry ,but disabled ,and what about the hose from the p/s pump to ram ,pull off completely?
no, dont drain it dry, leave it full of oil.

tie the two pumps to the ram together.

newtoboat101

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry about ,misread your first message disregart my other messages,,i now see what your saying