cabin cruiser or open bow

turfguy1969

Cadet
We are looking into the advantages or disadvantages of both types of boat. Can anyone input the plusses and minuses of these two types? We are in Buffalo area so weather changes quickly and high 80's temps are the most we have. I am leaning to a cabin cruiser as we have young kids, and like to entertain, perhaps crash overnight....Any input would be helpful.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cabin cruiser or open bow

A cabin cruiser has a closed bow so you won't have an issue with taking waves over the bow if the waether geta nasty. A cruiser is usually heaviar and has a larger free board so the ride is smooth and dry. A cabin cruiser also isn't the breastest for water sports but will work. An open bow boat will do much better for watersports but with the open bow if you take a wave over it you risk getting swamped. Also with a lower freeboard, deadrise and weight the ride could be slightly harder and you may get a little wet. It really depends on what your doing.

Dan

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I'm a bit confused. Are you thinking of a cuddy cabin? It would be closer to the performance of an open bow. Better for water sports over a cabin cruiser. A cuddy mostly has a forward sleeping berth and maybe a porta pot. A cabin cruiser will have the stuff to live aboard such as galley, full head, and will sleep more than just a few people.

As stated, the cabin cruiser is much heavier, usually larger, and not so great for water sports. The cuddies is usually lighter, shorter, and much more maneuverable,,,,,and a bit easier on fuel consumption.

Open bows are great for good weather fun, water sports, and cruising usually at a better speeds.

Mine is a cabin cruiser. Wife and I spend every weekend on it. Being just over 27', its not very good for water sports, but with it, the weather aint no problem :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

scottlusay

Recruit

I too reside in Buffalo, NY & am trying to decide between a 19' Open Bow or a 19' Cruiser. My wife is leaning toward the Closed Bow (cruiser) thinking she would nap in the bow, put younger kids below, & perhaps store jackets, etc.

But I like the open floor plan and spaciousness of the open bow. What a brutally tough decision (especially since this is our first boat). Thanks for any objective input anyone may have on the pros/cons of each!

Sincerely,
Scott

MikDee

Banned

I had an older 79'- 24' SeaRay Cuddy cabin, this size, & design, was ideal because it had plenty of open cockpit space, and a roomy Cuddy cabin, a deep freeboard, and was still maneuverable, plus good for water sports. Those were the Pluses!

The Cons were the cuddy was too hot most of the time, not much air circulation, and you really wouldn't want to be in there with the boat under power, unless going very slow. It's Ok in there once you drift, or anchor. Anchoring was another issue, you had to go up thru the hatch, it's way easier, to get to the bow, then stand precariously, with the waves, on the bow to pull the anchor in (kinda tough on a 24 footer), then stow the anchor somewhere, usually in a forward hatch in the cuddy. If you plan on picnicking, & sleeping on it most of the time, it's a great idea, but otherwise it's just a hassle. I've had 2 Cuddy's, and 5 bowriders, including the one I have now, so you know my choice ;)

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can tell you my humble opinion is that something with at least a cuddy cabin is the way to go. Growing up we had a bowrider tri hull and while it was loads of fun, a cabin has WAY more advantages. On our bowrider, after a few hours when someone had to use the "facilities", that was always a little awkward. On a cuddy just shut the hatch and go. ;) As I got older, I loved the ability to sleep on the water. Also getting out of the sun, bad weather, etc... My vote would be for something with a cabin. :cool:

elhombre

Seaman

great ideas here on which to choose; I have a Grady White/walk around cuddy cabin, and a Boston Whaler "revenge". they're both @ 20' boats, nice for water sports and fishing. We like the cuddy to get out of the sun / weather. both are outboards- personal preference. good luck and happy boating!

cmcpherson

Banned

I can tell you my humble opinion is that something with at least a cuddy cabin is the way to go. Growing up we had a bowrider tri hull and while it was loads of fun, a cabin has WAY more advantages. On our bowrider, after a few hours when someone had to use the "facilities", that was always a little awkward. On a cuddy just shut the hatch and go. ;) As I got older, I loved the ability to sleep on the water. Also getting out of the sun, bad weather, etc... My vote would be for something with a cabin. :cool:
?

Huh? My bowrider, 24', has a decent size head that is no problem to use and the open bow provides much more space to move around in. You can't compare today's open bow boats with a tri-hull!

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 19' cuddy is not terribly useful, having owned one. It is a good thing to have if you have small kids- which is why we did it. They liked romping around in there, they could get out of the sun or cold, and it was a safe place to stuff them. BUT it was darn tight for an adult, really have to crawl in, plus getting to the bow is really a pain. So I like open boats when they are small, better use of available space. Not all 19 ft boats are created equal, some are much deeper and wider beam, allowing true adult room in the cuddy. Mine was small, so we could only take like 5 adults with us ever....