Cabin ceiling Upholstery

At1bob

Recruit
Cabin Ceiling Upholstery coming loose. I've just recently purchased a 2005 270 cr
The cabin ceiling Upholstery is drooping or sagging a bit. I'm considering using contact adhesive but not sure if there is a better way. The interior of this boat is like brand new with only 144 hours on the motor. It hasn't been used or opened up in over 5 years.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Being closed up for 5 years drives out the adhesive used on the headliner.

Just like cars in warm locations with saging headliners

Reglue it, go boating. I like 3M 77

Your boat needs to be enjoyed vs sitting. For the 12 years it was used, it was only used on-average if 20hrs per year, or 3-5 outings per year

Sitting for 5 years means no maintenance for 5 years. Time to do the other maintenance

tpenfield

Staff member
You will probably find that the foam backing on the headliner material has disintegrated and it will be a challenge to get it to stay in place. Since you'd have to expose it to apply adhesive, you may as well just install new headliner material. BTDT.

At1bob

Recruit
Being closed up for 5 years drives out the adhesive used on the headliner.

Just like cars in warm locations with saging headliners

Reglue it, go boating. I like 3M 77

Your boat needs to be enjoyed vs sitting. For the 12 years it was used, it was only used on-average if 20hrs per year, or 3-5 outings per year

Sitting for 5 years means no maintenance for 5 years. Time to do the other maintenance
I have a whole list of maintenance including a Bellows change. It was professionally winterized before it was put up so at least that much was done. I've finally got it home and we are looking at using a combination of spray adhesive. 3m77 and snap on tuffting buttons. We are double checking that there is enough material in the overhead to screw into 3/8" depth of screw with minus the material and a thin fender washer. The head liner is in really good shape on the side I can see but have no idea of the foam backing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
headliners are normally 1/8" or 1/4" PVC with foam backed vinyl

not sure if you have room for screws.