C150 TXRU Hard Starting

atwall2011

Seaman Apprentice
Just got a new to me boat with a 1996 Yamaha C150 TXRU. Took the boat out three times plus the test run with no issues. On the fourth trip, the motor was really hard to start, would crank out on every other try it would start to crank and then stop before I released the key. Finally got it to hit with the choke on and got it started reading for two seconds and died. Back to square one. Finally got it to stay running and ran it all day with no issues except for it didn't want to run very long at idle maybe a couple of minutes. At just above idle it sounded like it was missing a little bit. Any ideas on where to start? Should I go ahead and take it to the shop or is it okay to keep running it? I'm not new to boating, but this is my first boat. Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
pull the plugs and inspect them for problems.
check for water or something else that could lock up the motor from turning.
check compression while you have them out

atwall2011

Seaman Apprentice
10-4 should get a chance to check it out tomorrow or Friday. Will report back. Thanks

atwall2011

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Pulled the plugs no water, cleaned with emory cloth and reinstalled. Didn't have a gauge to do a compression test. Took boat to the creek it fired up, idled, and ran with no issues. Here's a picture of one of the plugs, they all looked the same. Also, I have water spring out of the upper exhaust ports is that normal? Safe to run under that condition?

Attachments

• photo270922.jpg
    photo270922.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 0