Bypass VRO and use Fuel Pump

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 98 Evinrude 115 and it seems the Vapor Pump is not allowing gas into the carbs so I am wondering is there a way to bypass the VRO and use a fuel pump and just use mixed gas or would it be better to get a new vapor pump and hope that fixes the issue? All threads I have seen have mixed reviews on the matter.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a diaphragm available for the vapor pump $6.00 and easy fix.------But maybe the separator tank needs cleaning.-----Some inspection required by you.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Is that motor a 60* V4? If so, the vapor pump assists the OMS pump. The OMS pump is the one that injects the oil into the gasoline as it pumps it.

The vapor pump is an easy rebuild. I would also rebuild the vapor separator as well and see if that fixes it. A new OMS pump is $500+ for OEM.

You can use the OMS pump to pump mixed fuel as well, but if the motor doesn't pump fuel now, it likely won't pump mixed fuel either.

The main strainer is clean? The seals on it are good?

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Appreciate yalls replies, It seems the connector on the pump was broken off, so I need to buy a new one.

Was hoping to bypass the VRO all together, but looks like I need to just purchase the new part.

BrokePart.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That pump ( vapor pump version ) is listed as no longer available.------I think you can scavenge that broken housing of any one of these little square pumps.-----Used on many small motors up to 25 HP since 1968 or so.----Most shops might have a bin with those used parts.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That pump ( vapor pump version ) is listed as no longer available.------I think you can scavenge that broken housing of any one of these little square pumps.-----Used on many small motors up to 25 HP since 1968 or so.----Most shops might have a bin with those used parts.
I did see a few on ebay going for $65...

When I pump the primer bulb, I am getting gas to the top, but it is not going into the crab lines. Shown in image.

Let me say, that I watched a few videos on how to bypass the VRO and seen where they cut the oil & gas lines. Not sure if I should have cut the gas line.

gasBlockage.jpg

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That pump removes fuel vapor from VST and send it back into air box, only when float level drops in VST. It does not assist the VRO/OMS. If your not getting fuel to carbs check VRO output

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If your not getting fuel to carbs VRO/OMS is not allowing fuel to pass as carbs sound fill with primer bulb/

1656333509845.png
1656333528809.png
1656333542621.png

Last edited: