Buying used items. What's the worst thing a seller has ever tried to do to you.

Chief Petty Officer
Drove about 45 minutes to look at a tent . The seller packaged it in the original bag and sealed the zipper shut with krazy glue. The zipper fabric , zipper teeth, were fused together . The bag looked new , so I gave them an offer. They accepted. Handed them the cash. Then ripped the bag open. The tent was destroyed and had holes everywhere. Took my cash back and ran. I tend to think people are generally honest but gluing the zipper shut has to be one of the scummiest things a person can do intentionally.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Drove about 45 minutes to look at a tent . The seller packaged it in the original bag and sealed the zipper shut with krazy glue. The zipper fabric , zipper teeth, were fused together . The bag looked new , so I gave them an offer. They accepted. Handed them the cash. Then ripped the bag open. The tent was destroyed and had holes everywhere. Took my cash back and ran. I tend to think people are generally honest but gluing the zipper shut has to be one of the scummiest things a person can do intentionally.
Good thing you opened it right away. Wonder what went through the sellers mind when you started to open it up. What was his excuse?

I’ve been pretty lucky buying stuff from Craig’s list , marketplace and ebay. Got burned one time on an 80$ item.

tphoyt

Ensign
Just reminded me of a friend that was selling a car. A guy called him said he had a broken leg and asked if he could bring to car to him. He did and the guy was in deed in a cast. He asked him to take him for a test drive and then asked him to stop at the store to get some beer. When they got back to the guys house he said thanks but no thanks. About an hour later he got to thinking he just gave this guy a free ride to the package store and likely never wanted to look at the car at all. 😂

tpenfield

Staff member
Wouldn’t the krazy glued zipper be a red flag?

matt167

Captain
I once drove several hours to look at an 87 corvette. I was assured that it was operating correctly and could make the trip back. It wasn’t being sold as mint condition but he did want like $6k. When I got there, the engine smoked like a chimney, coolant and check engine light were on and tires were ready to blow from dry rot. The 2 guys selling it were flippers

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought a small outboard motor for a john boat. The guy said it needed the impeller replaced, but it would run fine, but don't let it run for more than a couple of minutes or it would cause serious damage. Got it home and eventually picked up an impeller and started taking it apart. The driveshaft was missing!! The seller swore it was there when he sold it to me and said that I must have lost it when taking the motor apart! It's a long shaft 9.9. The drive shaft would have been 2' long at least! How did he think I would/could have lost it?!?!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Had a bunch of hot rod parts from an evilbay seller show up for a different motor that looked like they were removed with a hammer

Took a while thru evilbay