buying out of state boat.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice
Some of youhave read my otherthread on me looking for a boat. I have found one or two out of state that I am interested in. I didn't know if it was a pain to get it transfered and registered go a ohio boat. I assume its possible.

There onlya few hours away closer than some parts of ohio. So the drive is not a big deal.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: buying out of state boat.

where do you live, it depends on where you live. I'm in West Virginia, if I buy a boat from here, I need the title. if the title is from out of state, I need to also provide a bill of sale.:noidea:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have 5 trailers.
You don't need a title for a trailer coming to Ohio. To get plates here, You need to get it weighed(empty), then take that to the BMV to get your plates. I lost the title to my Baja trailer so I went to the farmer's exchange, had it weighed, then got plates at the BMV within 15 minutes.

On my heavy equipment trailer, I only had a registration that transfers to each new owner...got plates there.

On my new boat registered in Florida, it has registration that is transfered. And if I have any issues, I will throw away the registration, get it weighed and get plates. A bill of sale is ALWAYS a good idea.

People steal trailers from PA, bring them to Ohio and register them. :(

alldodge

Staff member

KY uses titles on both trailer and boat, but trailer does not need a plate. Don't really need a title for the trailer but helps if selling or proving ownership. If boat comes in form out of state, it needs a bill of sale or a title and the sheriff checks the paper work, 5 bucks to the sheriff, then pay sales tax for what it's worth. Don't need to pay the sales tax if you can show you paid the tax in another state.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have bought 1 boat in-state and 2 boats from out-of-state. The best thing to do is to understand the titling requirements of each state that is 'involved' in the transaction. On the buying end, you want to make sure that the seller is in compliance with their state regs. on titling and registration. Then on your end (the buyer) you want to make sure you know what your state requires as proof of ownership, etc.

I live in MA and bought a boat from NJ (had title) and bought another from NH (not a title state), so MA accepts the certificate of registration from the prior owner/state. Each state combination may be slightly different, so it is best to check on the specifics of each state.

BoatinJosh

Seaman Apprentice

I live in ohio. So ishou,d contact the title office and find out what's needed

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I have bought 1 boat in-state and 2 boats from out-of-state. The best thing to do is to understand the titling requirements of each state that is 'involved' in the transaction. On the buying end, you want to make sure that the seller is in compliance with their state regs. on titling and registration. Then on your end (the buyer) you want to make sure you know what your state requires as proof of ownership, etc.

I live in MA and bought a boat from NJ (had title) and bought another from NH (not a title state), so MA accepts the certificate of registration from the prior owner/state. Each state combination may be slightly different, so it is best to check on the specifics of each state.

Excellent advice!

I bought a boat out of state a few years ago and didn't know all that, and thought the dealer knew what they were doing. Boy was I wrong. It took over a year to get everything straighten out.

Also check into sales tax if you're buying from a dealership and have state sales tax. I knew nothing about needing to pay them in my state and again though the dealership did everything needed. I found out 18 months later when NC sent me a "nice" letter explaining the error of my ways. I was able to get the penalties dropped, but it was a PIA.