Buying my first fishing boat

special_k

Recruit
Hello iBoats Community,

I was hoping to pick the brains of all you experienced boaters. I am looking to join the club. I have never owned a boat before, outside of my fishing kayak. I would consider myself moderately mechanically inclined, having worked on my cars and motorcycles. I am looking to pickup a used fishing boat for around $10000 Canadian. What I am discovering is that there isn't much in that price point. It seems like only tiller aluminum boats are available or boats from the late 80's and early 90's. I would really like something with a steering wheel, flat casting deck, ability to hold my family of wife and three kids on occasion and front mounted trolling motor. Do I need to up my budget to get something decent? Are those really old boats with two-stroke motors worth considering? Or with that price, I should really only be considering the tiller styled boats?

Appreciate your input. You guys down in the States definitely have more in terns of options and better deals to be had. Here, I scratch my head looking at ads of guys wanting $15k for their 1988 bass boat.

I will also mostly be using it on my own and wonder how often guys solo launch.

Thanks in advance!

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Yes, you need to up your budget to get something decent. See what $30K CND can get.

briangcc

Commander
Some of the fondest memories on boats were on my uncle's 16' Starcraft with 9.9HP Evinrude (tiller steer). We didn't break any speed records but with him at the throttle, my sister and all my cousins crammed in we had a blast. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

My 2 uncles and my cousin now own varying aged Sylvan's with varying power - either yammie or rude. Flat decks on front with trolling motors, holds a family of 4-5 depending on creature comforts required. Those don't go cheap stateside so probably need to up the budget some.

Might also open your horizons and look at toons as they have a ton of flat deck space.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Yes, you need to up your budget to get something decent. See what $30K CND can get.
Wow is it that much more in Canada? I just picked up a 2019 Crestliner storm with 20HP merc four stroke with 10 hours on the whole rig for under 10,000. You can get a really decent used 16 foot aluminum boat around here all day long for under 10,000. You can buy new for 30,000. Never realized how much more it cost in the great white north.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get the aluminum tiller boat and fish with that. Have caught more fish in a 1959 14' aluminum with a 12hp gale tiller than many people with 60k rigs

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
A flat casting deck and
legal seating for 5 people. good luck

Not sure where your located but i’m in Ontario and for under 20k you can get a nice 16-18 ft some where in the mid 2000s for under 20k . You don’t need to spend $30k or more that’s almost new boat prices. just taking a quick look there’s a few on kijji without even trying . i’ve found a few for example first one is a 2005 alumicraft 16.5 $19.5 and another 2002 smoker craft for $18k . For 10k you’re definitely looking at old boats in that price range . i think you need to be closer to $20k to fit your needs

Attachments

• 78C3EF20-6803-4B11-AA44-18F15B4DEE6C.png
    78C3EF20-6803-4B11-AA44-18F15B4DEE6C.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 15492666-96A1-47AA-9435-B3AC42F34164.png
    15492666-96A1-47AA-9435-B3AC42F34164.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can't speak to boat availability or pricing in Canada, but regarding solo launch:

This is my third season as a boat owner, so I'm pretty inexperienced compared to many on the board. One of the reasons I bought my 14' boat was that I felt that I could easily launch and recover it solo. Before I ever tried it, I watched many YouTube vids of solo launch and recovery process. My first launch and recovery was solo. I launch and recover solo about half the time.

Even when I have "help", the launch is only assisted by my fishing buddy who holds the line attached to the bow as I back the boat into the water. When I don't have help, that line is attached to my truck.

Recovery is more complex. Remember that launching the boat is always optional. Recovering the boat is mandatory. I always have a plan for how I'm going to deal with the expected conditions when it's time to recover the boat. I'll choose the ramp to use based on wind and weather. I prefer light winds or a headwind as I'm putting the boat on the trailer. Crosswinds make recovering my light boat a real challenge. As to exactly how to do it, well, vids can show you how, but your exact process will have to be worked out by you.

Practice, practice, practice. There's no real substitute for it.