Buying my first boat, need advice on options

inquest

Cadet
Hello,

I am about to buy my very first boat so please excuse my ignorance for I am newcomer to boating.
I live in Hermosillo, the capital of the Mexican state of Sonora and I will be basing my boat in Kino Bay, on the Sea of Cortez (between the Baja California peninsula and the Mexican mainland).
The coast here is not very inhabited and there are lots of beautiful islands that are also completely inhabited. I want to be able to do some coast exploring and island hoping in my boat. The Sea of Cortez is a bit less than 100 kms (60 miles) wide here and the furthest open sea crossings I would do between the islands are about 30 kms (20 miles).
The activities I will do are spearfishing, scuba-diving, cane fishing and also some water skiing. I would also like to be able to camp on other beaches.
I have considered three possibilities:
- The 4.5 m Zodiac Mark III inflatable boat with flat aluminum floor that I would fit with a 60hp engine. I think this model would be ideal for beach camping because it is so lite (116kgs) and it has a flat bottom. My hesitation is if it will behave well when the sea gets a bit rough.
-The Zodiac 4.2 m ProClassic 420 that has a 0.69m,19 degree V-shaped hull that I would fit with a 50hp engine. I am guessing this boat will handle better than the Mark III in rough sea (is this really the case?) but I am not sure if it is suitable for beach “docking”.
-The Zodiac 5.5 m OpenPro 550 that has a 1.85 m, 24 degree V shaped hull that I could fit with a 90 to 120 hp engine. If it is unrealistic to do 30 km of open sea crossings with the above boats, I think I would have to jump to this model (or to the even larger OpenPro 650). In this case, I would have to spend more money and I am guessing beach “docking” is out of the question with such a hull and its 440kg; so I guess if I want to camp on an island, I would have to find a protected place to anchor the boat. Is it so or do you think beach “docking” would be possible? Concerning the engine, how big of an engine would you guys recommend for the activities I have in mind?

Would really appreciate if you could comment on these possibilities. If you other models would be more suitable for what I want to do, (Zodiac or other brand, does not matter), I would also appreciate it.
Thanks!!

Sebastián.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

How many people do you plan to transport to that destination to start with ? If it were me, would go straight for a Rib instead of a Sib. Easy to park at any sanded beach. Like doing 15-20 mile outings with just a 430 Rib and 18-30 HP max 3 without any issue, all day fun and excitement.Zodiac Ribs are toooo expensive, there are other nice affordable brands that can recommend.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

inquest

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome and also for the advice Sea Rider!

I plan on transporting between 3 and 7 people. Would definetely appreciate if you can recommend other more affordable brands.

Cheers!

Sebastián.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey inquest, curious to know the distance you would be going out to sea/lakes and if such a high level inflatable is needed for your adventures or if a lower level brank would serve you the same? Such as seahawks and intex..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sebastian,

Assume you already know if going for a rib will definitely need a trailer, so seems already on your your plans , right ? Plan on using a centrer console with remote steering or just a plain open rib ? Mercury Marine has a Ocean Runner 430 rib for max 7 passenger and 40 HP engine.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/inflata.../ocean-runner/

If looking for a more tough pro rib (larger, wider, taller, roomier) check Defender, they have the Ocean Pro ribs

Defender has it'w own brand of ribs too. It's the 3D Tender Pro X heavy duty models, range from 430 and up. 470 is a good size. For engines 40 and up. A 470 with 50 HP will fly. Have some 530 with Yam 60 and are scarry at 3/4 throtttle. Check both models if available in Hypalon specially if will be living exposed to the elements. You plan to buy near inmediately or in some more months ?

Defender Pro Rib-1.JPG

Defender Pro Rib-2.JPG

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

@Searider, Whats the bennefit of buying a rib over a 17-18fter skiff type of boat and throwing a 40 on it. I would think inflated tubes would take bigger chop? how does speed compare and durability? You can also take a skiff and put on a center console and easily fit 7 people and i would think it would take a bigger motor also

inquest

Cadet
@Rakumi:
I will be boating in the Sea of Cortez, the 100 km wide gulf (30 miles) that is between the Baja California peninsula and the Mexican mainland. I want to be able to island hop across the golf with a maximum island separation of 30 km (20 miles). I want to be able to carry enough food, water, gas and gear on the boat to do 2 or 3 night island/beach camping trips with 4 people on board (islands and most beaches here are not inhabited) and fishing day-trips with up to 7 people on board. Thanks to Sea Rider and a bit of research, I am sure that it is a RIB boat that I want but I am not yet sure what brand and type would be best suited for me. I would greatly appreciate your advice/tips on models and boat configurations that would work for what I want to do. Thanks!

@Sea Rider:
Thanks again for all of the advice!
I have indeed considered a trailer to take the boat out of the water for storage; when stored (weekdays), the boat will be in my garage that has a roof but is open on the sides so there will be some exposure to the elements.
I have seen the Mercury RIBs but I do think that I will need something bigger/wider than that; I am thinking I will need at least a 470 because of the space. In that respect, I am quite hesitant on the steering wheel/console/seat issue; it takes a lot of space that will come in quite handy in long camping trips (would like to go 2 or 3 nights with 4 people and all of the gas, food and water that is needed) but I guess having it must be much better when doing long crossings and when skiing. What do you think?
Coming back to the possible brands/models, the Defender links that you posted are not working; I found their site but could not find the 470 RIB. In any case, do you know how does a Defender 470 RIB compare to a Zodiac Pro Classic 500 concerning seaworthiness and price? Thanks again for all your help!

@Weimed: Hello! All advice concerning possible models that you think would be best suited for my purpose would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

inquest

Cadet
@Sea Rider: Forgot to answer your question on the timing. I plan to buy the boat as soon as possible (already quite exited about this project) but, since I am a newcomer to boating and this represents quite some money for me, I want to make sure I have enough information to choose the boat correctly. For a moment I almost went ahead and bought the Zodiac SIB and now I think a RIB is a much better choice for what I want to do.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
@Searider, Whats the bennefit of buying a rib over a 17-18fter skiff type of boat and throwing a 40 on it. I would think inflated tubes would take bigger chop? how does speed compare and durability? You can also take a skiff and put on a center console and easily fit 7 people and i would think it would take a bigger motor also

Will depend entirely on what fits best for Sebastian. Those mentioned Defender ribs are the oceanic heavy duty type, will stand just about all chopps, the tubes being 53 barely touches the water, the bow is high compared to simple ribs.

Call Defender or email them and ask them if they have in stock those mentioned models in 470 or 530. Should cost much less than Zodiac. They have also nice Achilles brand from Japan, but more pricey.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

inquest

Cadet
Thanks Sea Rider, I will indeed contact Defender to ask about the 470 and 530. What is your take on having a central console with a remote steering? How much of an advantage is it versus having just a plain open RIB that would have much more space available?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't like center console ribs, love plain open ones, lot's of available deck space, you can even sleeep on deck on top a sleeping bag. Add console, steering helm & 3 remote cables and you're easily at $ 1,500, add engine's remote control and fitttings and you have another + $ 1K. Total $ 2,500, just add the rib price difference and happy boating.

Contacted Defender, and asked if still import the X model, have not responded yet, a phone call to their boating dpt would be more effective.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are looking at 4 people with excessive gear or 7 people and going to sea, you want a much larger boat. An 8 or 8 1/2 ft wide 21 ft deep vee conventional boat will handle 6 or 7 people max in calm water but less as the seas kick up. Been there, tried that.

Inflatables are rated high as to carrying capacity, but they are not suitable for the maximum rated number of people due to interior space. Get the internal dimensions of the boat you are considering, lay out the measurements on a floor, and see how well people fit the space.

Our 10 ft inflatables are rated for a large carrying capacity, but more that two passengers and things get iffy fast.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Bad News, Defender is not importing the X Pro model, although they know it pretty well. They sell most tenders, rescue inflatables. fast responders. There's a great difference transporting 4 or 7 people, size and everything related to.

A good option would be a Hypalon Mercury Ocean Runner 430 at around 4 K if will be living constasntly on outside sunny environments. Good for 7 passengers as a transport only provided that all sit on tubes. Much comfy for 3-4. Needs a 40 HP long shaft if transporting max load. 30 HP if transporting max 3-4 passengers. Will roar with 2, will fly with one. Other good priced brand is Hifield, they have alum hull ribs in different sizes check: http://www.highfieldboats.com/usa/ check 450 Open Ribs and up. Don't go for a center console rib, will take lots of available deck space which is a must have.

Happy Boating