Buying from out of state and shipping

KA23

Cadet
Never thought I would have this hard of a time finding a cuddy cabin. Have any of you bought a boat and had it shipped to you? I am eyeing one that fits my exact wants list but it's 1600 miles away...................would a good independent survey be sufficient? Flying there to inspect it myself is not an option. The boat is a 1998 Four Winns. Any of you have experiences to share? Not surprising there are a ton of boats in the size and layout I want for sale locally but they have the Ford motors and OMC outdrives which everyone says to avoid like the plague.

alldodge

Staff member
Never thought I would have this hard of a time finding a cuddy cabin. Have any of you bought a boat and had it shipped to you? I am eyeing one that fits my exact wants list but it's 1600 miles away...................would a good independent survey be sufficient? Flying there to inspect it myself is not an option. The boat is a 1998 Four Winns. Any of you have experiences to share? Not surprising there are a ton of boats in the size and layout I want for sale locally but they have the Ford motors and OMC outdrives which everyone says to avoid like the plague.

Never done it my self but have discussed with others that had. The main issue is to find a certified boat surveyor so if something shows up that was not discovered they company is liable. There are many which say they survey boats but not that many which are certified with insurance

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I've bought 2 used boats out of state. I live in Minnesota. My Larson Hampton 23' cuddy came from a suburb just north of Atlanta GA. My Searay came from Cincinatti. In both cases I did the inspection myself and then took the boat for a water test before handing over the cashiers check. I was looking specifically for a certain make/model. Limiting myself to what was available locally was not an option. I'll definitely look out of state again if I need to. There can be a risk with doing this but I was pretty confident that both boats were worth the trip after seeing pictures and of course asking the sellers lots of questions over the phone.

I towed both boats back home myself so can't comment on the shipping.

Larson made some nice cuddles if you plan to do some overnighting . Loved my 1995 220 Hampton. They replaced it with a 235 Hampton and then the 220 Cabrio. All 4 of those port windows opened with screens, plus the screened hatch and large cuddy entry gave that boat tons of ventilation and made it a great overnighter. Also had a separate head compartment. No sleeping over a toilet. Even had shore power with onboard battery charger, refrigerator, 5 gallon water system and alcohol/electric stove. That second picture is my first trip up to the Lake Superior. I added screens to camper canvas after for more ventilation.

Last edited: