Buying boat, need advice on motor size

LCangler

Recruit
I have ordered a new 16.5 ft Alumacraft deep V hull. It is rated for 75 HP. Boat Weight is 840#. Has a 20 gal tank and will generally be carrying 2 people (plus large livewell which will be used full). Not sure how to estimate loaded...maybe 1400-1500# excluding motor. Am getting a 4 stroke Yamaha. Can't decide between the 60 HP or 75 HP. The salesman said he thought the 60 would do me just fine. He said the 75 HP Yamaha was just a detuned 90. The 75 is 370# and the 60 is 237#. So for 15 more HP I get to carry around another 140#. I am not a speed demon. I just want to get on plane and go without the motor working overly hard. More interested in gas mileage and longevity of the motor. Any advice on which size motor to get?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying boat, need advice on motor size

I will assume you are talking about an Alumacraft Navigator as what you say fits that profile to a "T". I can tell you that you would be much happier with the 75. How do I know? I did exactly what you are thinking about doing. 60 HP is not enough for that boat -- I have one and ended up changing engines to a 75 HP two stroke. Made a very nice boat out of what had been a slug with a 50 HP two stroke (which would perform about the same as the 60 4 stroke). As for the dealer saying a 75 4S is a detuned 90, one might also say a 90 is a hopped up 75. 75 HP is 75 HP regardless how it's achieved.

LCangler

Recruit

I am not getting the Navigator. Getting the new Classic Camp 165. The naviagor 165 is rated for a 90 hp and boat weighs 1050#. About 200# more than mine.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I would think the 60 would be ideal. If your not looking for all out speed it will be fine. (I would prefer the 60 2-stroke) I'm not a 4 stroke OB kinda guy.

Not the same type of boat but we once had a 17 Rinker BW with a 1983 70 Evinrude. It would plane good and get decent speed. About 35MPH We were very happy with it.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 16ft Alumaweld with a hull weight of 835#. I have the 60HP Yamaha. Great mileage, never a problem, about 38MPH at WOT, don't really care to go that fast. I usually cruise in the low 20s or less. The smaller (less weight) engine will compensate for the power differential. I would go with the 60.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you say you're not a speed demon, the choice is pretty obvious. The 60 will get you up just fine and plane very nicely. Personally I'd look at a 2 stroke motor and go with the Yamaha 70, but for your use the 60 sounds like it will be fine.

LCangler

Recruit

Thanks for all the advice. If anyone else has a similar weight boat, would still like your assessment. Still have a day or two to change size. For those advising for 2Stroke. I have had a 4stroke for 10 years and just love the quiet ride, gas mileage and not having to worry about oil mixture, etc. I live on a very large saltwater lake near the Gulf of Mexico. Sometimes gotta cover long distance to find fish. With the cost of gas now, I would rather spend more time getting there than more cash.