Buying another boat - what type? Runabout vs ski type boat

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good morning forum,

Earlier this year we purchased an older Bayliner with an outboard motor on it for cheap. This was done to test the waters of boating to see if it is something we would like to take up. We have enjoyed boating immensely and used this old boat over 15 times and counting this year - just bought the boat in July btw. Since it is an activity the entire family enjoys we want to to upgrade to a better boat with more power. Something we can hopefully hang on to for several years and continue to enjoy.

Here is the dilemma. Not sure what to buy. I have been looking at older ski tow boats (Mastercraft, Correct Craft, Malibu, etc) and have really convinced myself I want to find one of these classic boats that has been cared for. I like the idea of the large engine that is easy to get to and work on and they have the ability to tow anything we will ever need to tow. Also it seems the inboards hold their value better than a traditional i/o.

My wife wants a traditional i/o type open bow boat as that is what she grew up with and our cheap Bayliner is an open bow also. My understanding is an i/o type runabout drives nicer in choppy water and also provides more room in the boat as there is no engine mounted right in the middle of the floor. Also the open bow is huge for her as she loves riding up there. As you know most of the older ski boats were all closed bow.

Most of the boating we do consists of cruising around the lake, floating, swimming, pulling tubes, and I would ultimately like to try slalom again as I haven't done it for over 15 years (so that may not be realistic at my age). I don't have any interest in wake surfing. I am a pretty mechanical guy and can do most of my own maintenance with proper books and direction. A small concern of mine is the outdrives on an i/o seem to require more maintenance.

What boat would you buy?

Last edited:

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
All boats are going to require maintenance, that is the nature of boating. You are able to find an open bow ski boat, but they tend to be pricier because of their availability.

You are absolutely correct that ski boats in rough waters can be a bumpy ride, but so can some i/o boats. The biggest thing for rough water is the size and shape of the hull, as well as if it is equipped with trim tabs. Boats like this with the proper engine will also be able to pull you on a slalom ski with no issue. If you use it for a combination of skiing and cruising, I think that a deep V i/o is optimal for you. The outdrive maintenance is easy once you familiarize yourself with them and if you keep up on preventative maintenance... just my .02

roffey

Commander
I could be wrong here but I think you are referring to an outboard motor, O/B vrs an inboard with an out drive, I/O. There is a third type of setup called a inboard. The outboard motors generally have the most room as the motor hangs off the stern of the boat and inboards and I/O's have the motor in the boat. Forgive me if you already knew this and I am just misunderstanding the post. How the boats handle chop depends on the hull and how deep it is as to cut through the water and not ride on top or over the waves. For the most part the inboards are a bigger boat but there are a lot of exceptions to this just as there a lot of bigger boats with outboard motors and numerous outboards.

I suspect this post will generate a lot of response as this is really what ever you like and where you boat and how big your wallet is.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Personally, I would never even consider either of the choices you gave. That's why asking for opinions may not work. YOU have to decide what's best for you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have been looking at older ski tow boats (Mastercraft, Correct Craft, Malibu, etc) and have really convinced myself I want to find one of these classic boats that has been cared for.

when I think classic, I am thinking barrel backed, wooden hulled old ski boats. are you thinking this, or a 30 year old fiberglass hull?

the reason I ask, I have only found two classes of classic old wooden boats..... the ones that I want and cant afford, or the ones that I can afford, however would take a pile of money to restore to what I want. Never found one in reasonable shape that was at a reasonable price

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
when I think classic, I am thinking barrel backed, wooden hulled old ski boats. are you thinking this, or a 30 year old fiberglass hull?

the reason I ask, I have only found two classes of classic old wooden boats..... the ones that I want and cant afford, or the ones that I can afford, however would take a pile of money to restore to what I want. Never found one in reasonable shape that was at a reasonable price

When I say classic ski I am referring to a mid 80's to early 90's inboard ski boat.

roffey

Commander
OK so disregard my meandering post explaining the different types of setup, LOL.

oldjeep

Admiral
Nothing beats an inboard for skiing, and nothing sucks more than a small inboard ski boat in rough water. Best bet is to test drive a few of each type and see what makes sense for your usage.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

Nothing beats an inboard for skiing, and nothing sucks more than a small inboard ski boat in rough water. Best bet is to test drive a few of each type and see what makes sense for your usage.

Yowser.. that's about the bare truth. Inboard ski boats are a joy on smooth skiing water. If you're going to use the boat for all sorts of stuff then an IO is potentially a better choice. Has its own maintenance, but once in the groove on that it is like any other boat.

UtahB, Like you, my wife simply loves making a nest in the bow and getting comfortable, and sunning herself. I can spend hours trying to find the right color, depth, flavor lure to catch whatever I'm trying to catch and having the wife happily in her comfort zone is the ticket to a long happy cruise. With an open bow I built a wood hatch I cover the walkthrough gap under the windshield, so when we are putting on some speed, said wifely sunbunny can get in out of the wind. I also decked the bow and stuck a livewell into the center, carpeted it and removed the seat pads. This lets me stick a fishing chair or the wife puts a clamp on umbrella and a inch thick sleeping pad up there to get comfortable. While it doesn't seat as many people, she is more comfortable with it setup this way than with the original seating. While an IO takes up as much floor space as an inboard ski boat, we have plenty for just the three of us in the family and a guest when skiing and wakeboarding.

I like the IO for its 'seaworthiness'. I spent quite a bit of time in and behind a Ski Nautique and it was perfect for that task, not so good for all the other stuff I like doing and certainly not the right choice for heading over to Monterrey Bay or other big possibly rough waters. It is harder to find an IO from the 80s and early 90's that is as nice as they are with late 90's and later for water sports. The state of the art has improved greatly. If I was going to do it again I would not have a boat with a wooden floor, it would be all fiberglass tub inside the hull. And if my main purpose was watersports I'd have a V8. Can't make a surf boat safely out of a IO, but a wakeboat, you bet.

In the end, every boat is a compromise. So once again, I'd point out that oldjeep's advice is perfect.

Rick

Attachments

• photo230184.jpg
    photo230184.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
one 24' cuddy, one 14' tinny fishing boat, one 7' mini speed boat..... yeah, she may be right.

Richmond2000

Seaman
I will add a small pointer RE I/O configurations and that is availability of parts
an Alpha ONE is a very popular drive and most boat "boneyards" will have parts for them for those OOPS moments
nobody wants to pay real money for something and have a major failure cost you MORE money and time then you NEED
there is also a LOT of support around here for maintenance / rebuilding /repairing I/O systems to "help" you along

I would ask your self your bayliner you have now where is it "lacking" IE power / handling ETC
if power is the ONLY major concern and you like the lay out / function of it maybe that is the way to go as you say slalom skiing is NOT the #1 priority

a TOW BOAT is now primary a wake board tow boat as they are designed for bigger wake and a high tow point BOTH things you DO NOT want in a a TUBE tow boat OR slalom skiing

oldjeep

Admiral
I will add a small pointer RE I/O configurations and that is availability of parts
an Alpha ONE is a very popular drive and most boat "boneyards" will have parts for them for those OOPS moments
nobody wants to pay real money for something and have a major failure cost you MORE money and time then you NEED
there is also a LOT of support around here for maintenance / rebuilding /repairing I/O systems to "help" you along

I would ask your self your bayliner you have now where is it "lacking" IE power / handling ETC
if power is the ONLY major concern and you like the lay out / function of it maybe that is the way to go as you say slalom skiing is NOT the #1 priority

a TOW BOAT is now primary a wake board tow boat as they are designed for bigger wake and a high tow point BOTH things you DO NOT want in a a TUBE tow boat OR slalom skiing

With some exceptions. My VTX v-drive is for slalom skiers that want the space, layout and some rougher water handling but also want the ability to board/surf.

That being said, with the DD boats he referenced, a v drive would be out of reach in that price range.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
From years of married life......get the boat the wife likes......that way when it comes time to spend BOATING BUCKS on toys and accessories, chance are you will not catch any flack.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
From years of married life......get the boat the wife likes......that way when it comes time to spend BOATING BUCKS on toys and accessories, chance are you will not catch any flack.

Quote of the day. Give that man a ceeegar.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a good point. And more than likely we will end up with a traditional i/o openbow.

thumpar

Admiral
I prefer the I/O. You don't have the blob on the back or the blob in the middle of the boat. It is nice to have the sundeck with storage under also. If your wife wants an open bow to sit in look for one that can take the filler cushions. I have them on mine. It makes the bow one flat cushioned surface and you can fit a cooler under it. Sometimes my son will even sleep under it because it is shaded.

southkogs

Staff member
This is a good point. And more than likely we will end up with a traditional i/o openbow.
A few of the mid-90s MasterCraft boats had a bow rider, and so did some of the Supras, I think.

You can find an I/O hull that's nice to ski behind. It won't be as nice as a dedicated tow boat, but unless you're an avid amateur or competing it's not that big of a loss.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I'd reiterate what everyone says. It is a family activity, although you are captain, I'd everyone else wants a bow rider, get a bow rider.

I think Richmond gave solid advice. ..you got the Bayliner to see how you liked it. Look at its deficiencies and go from there. No need to start the decision process over.