Buying advice

whery

Recruit
I have been doing a lot of research on the internet, but it seems like each time I answer a question I have ten more. I am looking at buying an inflatable or RIB in the next week or two (fingers crossed). The boat will be used to fish on the north coast of California. For the most part it will be one or two people in the boat.

My problem is that I am only willing to spend about $5,000 for the boat/motor (if I had to spend a little more for safety I might be able to splurge). There are so many brands and a web site selling it makes it difficult to choose the right one. I would hate to get a boat that falls apart while I am a mile off coast.

It seems the 12 to 14 foot range would be good. I am not sure if it is really worth getting a boat that is not made out of Hypalon, comment on this? There are not any dealers in my area so I would be ordering off the net, so I am hoping to find a reputable site.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Buying advice

Hypalon has at least a 20 year service life. You can pick up a new 350 RIB in Hypalon for around 3 G'S. PVC, would run you about 20% less and has a useful service life somewhere between 5 and 12 years. PVC may be a viable alternative for you, but the only two boats in PVC that I would look at are Mercury and Zodiac due to their ability to honor their warranties. The no name imports are problematic and have little or no actual warranty coverage.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whery

Recruit

The boat will be used offshore near Eureka Ca. There is a company here for getting a trailer once I decide on a boat.
I think I am going with a 2011 Mercury Inflatable 350 Oceanrunner Hypalon 11'6"

Looks like I can get that shipped for about 3k. Now I just have to figure out what outboard to get for it. Any suggestions would be helpful. It seems like a 9.9 or 15HP will work well. Again if this is wrong somebody please speak up. What brands get the best fuel consumptions with inflatable? Seems like I will be spending $2,200 to $2,600 on a motor is that about right?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

For a nice Mercury 360 rib go minimum with a 15/18 HP engine for max rib fun.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The boat will be used offshore near Eureka Ca. There is a company here for getting a trailer once I decide on a boat.

Looks like I can get that shipped for about 3k. Now I just have to figure out what outboard to get for it. Any suggestions would be helpful. It seems like a 9.9 or 15HP will work well. Again if this is wrong somebody please speak up. What brands get the best fuel consumptions with inflatable? Seems like I will be spending $2,200 to $2,600 on a motor is that about right?

A 350 really needs a 15 or a 20. A ten will get three people up on plane with some effort. The brand of outboard isn't critical and all will get the same MPG at the same RPM. Just get an engine that has a local service outlet near you.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat will be used offshore near Eureka Ca.
Have you gone boating offshore around Eureka? The water there offshore can get pretty BIG! Of course so can the current.

Looks nice and calm today registering 5.6' swells @ 9 seconds, with 17.5 kts wind and 21.4 kts gusts. Those conditions can change quickly. Have you thought about a slightly bigger boat to handle more challenging conditions?

What kind of tow vehicle do you have?
Can you tow a larger boat, or is your tow vehicle a small car?

There is a company here for getting a trailer once I decide on a boat.
What brand? Seems a majority of the salt water trailers in CA are made by Pacific Trailers, but I am sure there are plenty of good brands. Galvanized is a requirement. If the ramp sloshes (Surge) either launching wheels on the boat, or a trailer tongue extension to keep the tow vehicle far from salt water is a good thing to have.

Seems like a good deal, and who can argue about having it delivered to your door. There seems to be a few boat dealerships around Oregon like this one. http://inflatableboats.com/ Although the sales tax may fall under CA. Not sure how registration works on a new inflatable. There are a bunch of inflatable boat dealerships around Portland.

I take it you don't like buying used?

It seems like a 9.9 or 15HP will work well.
Depends what you plan on for a load? How many people? Is that going to be on the open ocean?

Seems like I will be spending $2,200 to $2,600 on a motor is that about right?
The brand and size will dictate price. Check on Ebay too. A nice 4 stroke is the way to go. I would recommend more horsepower not less in the ocean. Tohatsu, Nissan, Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude, Johnson blah, blah blah...which one has the best deal? Getting the boat and motor as a package deal may lead to bigger savings.

Don't forget nice self inflating life jackets to put on before leaving the harbor. If they are comfortable you will wear them, if not comfortable, they do you no good on the floor. We have the near shore ones from West Marine that we bought on sale.