Buying a rebuilt Yamaha a good idea??

drockboy

Recruit
I am looking to buy a used 2003 Yamaha 60 high thrust. It is being rebuilt by a Yamaha mechanic who I have been told is one of the better mechanics by multiple people. The guy told me straight up that the motor was pretty abused and neglected by the previous owner. He was going to part it out but opened it up and the "guts" looked better than he expected and he decided to rebuild it.

Should I be scared of buying this? How much life can I expect to get out of rebuilt motor? Will I be spending more time getting it fixed than on the water?

FYI I will be putting it on a 16 ft McKee craft.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Buying a rebuilt Yamaha a good idea??

For me I guess it would come down to these things.
How good is his reputation, how long has he been doing this and how many rebuilds has he done previously.
What is the asking price? What are comparable engines selling for?
What kind of warrantee comes with it?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If its done right there's no reason that with normal care the life could approach the same as a new motor. Theres the rub,,,,,"IF its done right"

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Theres the rub,,,,,"IF its done right"

That's why I'd need answers to the questions posed above.

Also just what was done during the rebuild, how extensive was it and what were all the parts that were replaced.
A ring job does not a rebuild make.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Might be a good deal. I am assuming the rebuild is the power head; if it's truly rebuilt you can be fine up there.

But a neglected or abused motor can have internal problems in the lower unit gears--is that part of the rebuild? If not, price the cost of a SEI replacement and factor that into your budget. Get him to check the LU for shavings, water and burnt oil, as well as for how well it shifts. People who use the engine for a brake, or people who fish for flounder, can really mess up a LU.

To me those are the two soft spots that can be damaged from neglect/abuse in a 10 year old motor; not much you can do to the rest that isn't apparent.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Good point HC, I think many assume a rebuild is just the top end and never concider the lower unit.

As far as I've seen all newer engines, even as far back as the 1980's, have a lot of plastic/nylon parts in many of the linkage assemblies. These wear out, becomes dried out and brittle. Were all those parts checked well and replaced?

drockboy

Recruit

For me I guess it would come down to these things.
How good is his reputation, how long has he been doing this and how many rebuilds has he done previously.
What is the asking price? What are comparable engines selling for?
What kind of warrantee comes with it?

His rep seems good, majority of the boat guys I talk to around here uses him and has nothing but good things to say. Asking price is $3k. Used engines here for same age/hp range from 2k-5k. I don't think he is offering a warranty.

He will be rebuilding the lower unit as well. He said the previous owner left the boat in the water and there was some unusual corrosion down there. He will be sending the block to a machine shop for inspection. Sounded like he will be taking apart the motor and replacing quite a bit of parts.

Thanks for all ur input guys!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Those are just the question I'd be asking myself.

So then if you feel confident that this is a good quality job then I don't see a problem with a rebuilt engine. Even brand new engines fail. But then if you are the buyer then only you can answer those questions for yourself.

It used to be that drag racers and dirt track racers use to use old engine blocks to start with. That way the castings were no longer "green" and they would hold tolerances better and not distort. For whatever that's worth.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Good point HC, I think many assume a rebuild is just the top end and never concider the lower unit.

As far as I've seen all newer engines, even as far back as the 1980's, have a lot of plastic/nylon parts in many of the linkage assemblies. These wear out, becomes dried out and brittle. Were all those parts checked well and replaced?

those i wouldn't worry about in a 2003 unless they show obvious wear (or which would be obvious to the mechanic)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Maybe not so much in a 10 year old engine but it's still something I find on engines that I look at. Little things that get overlooked.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

One who claims to be a good mechanic, must check all engine parts from top cowl to tail's end. Usually on a rebuilt you change all powerhead's rotating internal parts, needle bearings, ball rearings, crank.pin, seals, gaskets, pistons & rings generally to next super size, work done at a machine shop. If general work is state of the art conscientiously done, nothing to envy to a new engine. In a abused and neglected engine a complete overhaul is mandatory for peace of mind and wallet.

Happy Boating

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am looking to buy a used 2003 Yamaha 60 high thrust. It is being rebuilt by a Yamaha mechanic who I have been told is one of the better mechanics by multiple people. The guy told me straight up that the motor was pretty abused and neglected by the previous owner. He was going to part it out but opened it up and the "guts" looked better than he expected and he decided to rebuild it.

Should I be scared of buying this? How much life can I expect to get out of rebuilt motor? Will I be spending more time getting it fixed than on the water?

FYI I will be putting it on a 16 ft McKee craft.

Was it used in fresh or salt water? was it flushed regularly if used in salt water? I got almost 1000hrs out of my rebuilt yamahas before the block rotted away and let water into the cylinder and blew it up. It was rebuilt with actual Yamaha parts, not oem junk...

jbjennings

Captain

I would not spend 3K on a that motor, myself. There's no way of telling what internally has been replaced and what hasn't. I personally would rather buy a gently used motor that was all original. I spent $3200 recently on a really nice 60hp yamaha (2000 model) and got a good boat, trailer, and trolling motor with it. If I did buy the rebuilt motor, I'd want to at least see receipts for the parts, although there's still no guarantee that they are actually in the motor.
JMO,
JBJ

jbjennings

Captain

Was it used in fresh or salt water? was it flushed regularly if used in salt water? I got almost 1000hrs out of my rebuilt yamahas before the block rotted away and let water into the cylinder and blew it up. It was rebuilt with actual Yamaha parts, not oem junk...

Mistype here? I thought OEM was actual Yamaha parts????? :)