Buying a boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrock199

Recruit
I am new to the boat world. I have someone selling me a 1984 beachcraft boat in good condition. Is this a good boat for beginners. Not trying to spend a lot of money Just to enjoy a day out on the lake?

jbcurt00

Staff member
36+yr old boat, it's actual condition NOW is more important than how 'good' it was when it left the factory.

Tri-hull?

Pix?

Proceed carefully, and read this

Jrock199

Recruit
36+yr old boat, it's actual condition NOW is more important than how 'good' it was when it left the factory.

Tri-hull?

Pix?

Proceed carefully, and read this
9E5F12E8-161E-44C3-B5F0-527E6FB18164.jpegE6787FE5-4D7E-4760-ADC4-C2D7013C9C5E.jpeg

tpenfield

Staff member
Many boats are fine for beginners . . . not too big, not too powerful, not too complicated.

Have you taken water safety/boating safety courses? You should.

How much money is a lot?

Use the buyers checklist that JB posted.

Engine/outdrive - OMC sterndrive engines are a concern (OMC went out of business over 20 years ago). Ford-based engines are a concern (Ford got out of the marine engine thing, leaving it to GM)

How good are you with a socket wrench? Older boats will always need some wrenching. Newer ones are not much better in some cases. 🤪

Welcome to iBoats and welcome to boating. Got any boat-a-holic friends that can guide you first hand?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If your handy and mechanical and can repair and maintain a boat yourself it might be a good one. If you will need to pay someone to do everything including basic maintenance and winterizing then it's not a good choice. As noted, those old drive components are hard to find mechanics and parts for. Do you know about the proper use of a choke on a carburetor? Some people grew up with them. Some have never even owned a car that had one.
A boat is not like a car on the water. A boat requires a lot more mechanical maintenance and knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.