Buying a boat trailer with no title

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Buying a boat trailer with no title

Update,

The bill of sale the seller sent me was declined at the AAA office they said, even though had all of the sellers info address, phone# etc; Called Utah dmv and after talking to the worker they said the trailer was registered to someone but over twenty years ago and at one time had a lien on it but probalbly not now. they reccomended to file for a lost or bonded title, this could be a long process cause they try to locate the last registered owner and by the way I have opened a case with Ebay resolution center againist the seller.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Update, The bill of sale the seller sent me was declined at the AAA office they said, even though had all of the sellers info address, phone# etc; Called Utah dmv and after talking to the worker they said the trailer was registered to someone but over twenty years ago and at one time had a lien on it but probalbly not now. they reccomended to file for a lost or bonded title, this could be a long process cause they try to locate the last registered owner and by the way I have opened a case with Ebay resolution center againist the seller.
if he failed to add that the trailer didnt have a title that should fall under the "item was not as described" that was gonna be my recommendation. ive been an ebayer since 2000. 777 feedbacks now. follow through with claim. he screwed you. BUT ide never left with it had it not had a title. i got an orig x box for $82 paid w/paypal. it was 100% working he said. i got it packaged really well. but the door was screwed up and i had to pry it open every time i tried to eject. i told him and he basically said to bad. well after paypal sided with me i got my $82 back and didnt have to send the xbox back either. lasted about 6 months and toast. they basically took the next $82 from his selling profits for screwing me. good luck.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Update,
Called Utah dmv and after talking to the worker they said the trailer was registered to someone but over twenty years ago and at one time had a lien on it but probalbly not now. they reccomended to file for a lost or bonded title, this could be a long process cause they try to locate the last registered owner

I toll you Lucy!

In Illinios you file for a title search, they send you paper work to follow in which they include the name and last known address of the PO. You then have to Mail a registared letter, return receipt. Then if it comes back undeliverable you have to mail that letter unopened back to the DMV/DNR and then they will issue a new title. Anyways that's how it works in Illinios.

jessper

Seaman Apprentice

I am not sure how it works there, but it is pretty easy her in Missouri. I bought a boat trailer from Arkansas which does not require titles. All Missouri needed was a bill of sale from the out of state owner, and they were able to Give me a valid Missouri title with no other paperwork. No chance you can do it with a bill of sale?

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's not a big deal. People lose trailer titles all the time.

I just picked up a little fishing boat last week and there's no trailer title, although it does have a current license. The previous owner never had one.

maruefer

Recruit

almost had the same issue in Kentucky. Trailer not registered out of Ohio since previous owner before the one I purchased boat and trailer from in Ohio. Kentucky had me file for a new VIN number and sent to them with notarized sales receipt from owner I purchased trailer from along with trailer title application and sales tax application, also notarized.

New VIN plate came to local DMV office and new title and registration applied for and plate for trailer was issued. Kentucky DMV stated most all states have this type of process for trailers since a lot of trailers have no VIN.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 ^^
It's the same here in Indiana. I bought a Boat & Trailer. The guy I bought it from had it on a private lake. He didn't register it. So no title & the VIN # was missing./ I had the police come out look for a VIN #. He couldn't find it. So had to get all the paper work from DMV and fill it out. Than mail it in and get a new VIN #. So I could plate it.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is in California, correct? Go to the DMV, tell them you have a "home built" trailer you need to register, The DMV guy will come out, inspect your trailer & give you a sticker for the tongue, pay your fee's & you?re done. I just went through this.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the imput,
Want to keep everything legal need to face the cal dmv and file for lost or bonded title anyone done this in Ca? time process etc;

Thanks

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is in California, correct? Go to the DMV, tell them you have a "home built" trailer you need to register, The DMV guy will come out, inspect your trailer & give you a sticker for the tongue, pay your fee's & you?re done. I just went through this.

Is it truly home built? If not, and it has been titled at any time in the past this may not work. They will say there is an existing title and therefore an owner that technically isn't you.

rico suave

Seaman

I had a similar issue here in Massachusetts buying a trailer at a school fundraiser auction. I asked the Registry of Motor Vehicles and was told by them to register it as a Homemade trailer, which is what I did. They didn't care that I had the prior owner's name and that the trailer already had a serial number.