Buying a boat trailer with no title

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ebay purchase of a boat and trailer, met the seller half way on agreement charged me 300 dollars after paying for the boat I was obligated to buy it after the long drive the seller stated a few things differently then the original description got home and noticed no license on trailer, first red flag called the seller and said he never received one in the state of Utah a trailer under 750lbs doesn't need one I knew this trailer a double axle trailer for a 23 footer had to weigh more, he called me and admitted the trailer to weigh 1240lbs I called utah DMV and they stated the owner was different then the guy I bought the boat from, after many conversations he said he didn't need one, now here in Ca I'am screwed I have to show proof of ownership to register and that is required here for and trailer in this state to be licensed and registered , the seller said he knows for sure the trailer is not stolen and I should not be worried, anyone else experienced this? very frustrated

Thanks

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Buying a boat trailer with no title

Another thing to keep in mind you are required to leave a deposit on Ebay and its non refundable like the boat but don't know what to do about this trailer issue.

Bondo

Staff member

Ebay purchase of a boat and trailer, met the seller half way on agreement charged me 300 dollars after paying for the boat I was obligated to buy it after the long drive the seller stated a few things differently then the original description got home and noticed no license on trailer, first red flag called the seller and said he never received one in the state of Utah a trailer under 750lbs doesn't need one I knew this trailer a double axle trailer for a 23 footer had to weigh more, he called me and admitted the trailer to weigh 1240lbs I called utah DMV and they stated the owner was different then the guy I bought the boat from, after many conversations he said he didn't need one, now here in Ca I'am screwed I have to show proof of ownership to register and that is required here for and trailer in this state to be licensed and registered , the seller said he knows for sure the trailer is not stolen and I should not be worried, anyone else experienced this? very frustrated

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Donno 'bout Cal.,... Possibly you can licence it as "Home-made",....

Or,...

You bought a pile of Parts...

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, you are screwed. Be more careful next time. You are aware that many vehicle sales on eBay are without proper documentation. . .

So, you bought a boat and trailer and towed it home without a license plate? :facepalm: :rolleyes:

How about the boat? Do you have proper documentation for that?

Your only hope is to try to find out who actually owns the trailer (according to the Utah DMV) and see if you can get proper release of title from that person (maybe ???)

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... Donno 'bout Cal.,... Possibly you can licence it as "Home-made",...

as others have noted, getting the proper paperwork is the best way to go but if that isn't possible, going the "Home-made" route would be possible in this state .... doing so does carry a most definite liability should the trailer later be proven to be stolen

Jim

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Here in Wisconsin trailers under a certain size and weight are not required ti be titled or registared. The small trailer I have is in that catagory and I do not have have one. I am perfectly fine as long as I keep the trailer or sell it to another Wisconsin resident. Problem comes into play should I decide to sell it to some one from Illinios which requires titles for all trailers.

Agree with tpenfield that you may have to apply for a title search to be able to locate the last registared owner and then get a replacement title.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know nothing about Ca. It's been 20 tears since I lived there. But here in Oregon, no trailer liscense is required for trailers under 1500lbs. I never see liscense plates on single axle boat trailers, many of which have an axle weight of 2500lbs plus. Only about half of the tandem axle boat trailers have plates. I worked as an LEO for a few years and know for a fact that nobody cares. My tandem axle is registered and plated for insurance reasons, and because I travel out of Oregon quite abit, otherwise I would save the money.

All you can do is the Ebay feedback thing. If he does some selling on there the rating is important to him. Check on ebay policy on this type of action as well. How did you pay?? Does paypal have a dispute process like credit card companies do?? Good luck!!

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

This situation happens here as well but on boats leaving the state. In AL boat trailers have NO paperwork. The boat has a registration (no title). You need the registration certificate to transfer the boat. Thus if someone buys a boat here and takes it to a neighboring state which requires a title they have to have a title issued.

I am guessing you were given a transferable registration/title for the boat. If so I would get a copy of Utah's registration laws and verify what paperwork is required in Utah. If you got everything, then talk with the DMV there must be a procedure for registering out of state boats. It may require an affidavit from the seller and an inspection for the trailer serial number.

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did the same thing here in Arkansas , I traded for a boat,motor and trailer in Okla. The law in Arkansas says only a bill of sale showing the numbers are required. I went to the Revenue office and it turns out there is another law. Out of state needs titles, I had the boat , and motor title but not the trailer. I called the "supervisor" in Little Rock and she told me to get a bill of sale from the guy with a serial number on it. Then she called the Revenue office , I don't know the conversation between the two but with the bill of sale there was no problem and I got a license and title for the trailer. Took me two months but got it all.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

1. See if the trailer has a serial number or something identifiable on it and have the local Police check it to see if it is entered as "stolen."

2. Once it is cleared contact the Utah Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and see what it takes to get information regarding the registered owner.

3. Contact the registered owner by certified mail and explain the problem.

4. If unable to contact the registered owner contact the DMV about doing a "forced title transfer."

5. It might take some legwork but it is better then finding out later the trailer is stolen or has liens against it.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I see this a lot here in North Carolina. We are required to have a title for both the trailer and the boat. Trailers are handled by our DMV and boat titles are handled by the State Wildlife folks. I can't count the number of times where no apparent title exists for a trailer but the claim is they're easily obtained. Well, if that were true, they'd have done it.

I almost bought a boat 2-3 years ago that looked great. The title for the trailer was missing but the seller was "sure" he could find it. I told him to please do so as the sale of the boat depended on it. He never called back. I saw the same boat being sold again about a year later by the same seller. I wonder if he ever found a sucker.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thing to keep in mind you are required to leave a deposit on Ebay and its non refundable like the boat but don't know what to do about this trailer issue.
NOPE! A lightweight used trailer probably isn't worth a ton, but it's your money. Even if you paid with a Paypal balance you have a recourse. Do not just let someone take your money.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the response,

Basically number one verify the trailer is not stolen next find the current registered owner Utah dmv worker said they could not release this? how can I prove ownership that is what is required in Ca there are other forms I was told to also try if last owner in not avialble as for Ebay yes there is buyer ratings to the sellers and buyer protection system live and learn.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well that is not my belief all people are good until proven bad....

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does the seller have the registration from previous years? That should work to get you a plate. Will a bill of sale from the seller work?

LK

bigdee

Commander

Boat trailers are loosely regulated in most states. The main interest of law enforcement is a valid tag.
Some trailers have a serial number stamped on the tongue but most use a sticker that falls off or becomes unintelligible. I have multiple trailers but only one tag...just saying. I am not suggesting anything but sometimes there are other ways to fight bureaucratic red tape. In NC trailers are categorized as BT (boat trailer) or UL (utility) so you can't switch tags from another category without the risk of getting caught. A patrolman can run the tag and it will come back as a BT and that is all he cares about. If there is no serial number how would he ever know.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Although registering boats and trailers as "home made" is a frequently-used short-cut for title issues, I have serious reservations about falsifying government documents, when clearly it wasn't home made.

One question for the OP is whether the lack of title/registration/plates, and the money in the whole deal, makes it worthwhile simply to buy a used trailer with a good title and move on? Sinc eyou said you bought it from somewhere a long drive away, reversing the deal might not be the best thing economically.

Hope the boat checks out; this whole deal seems shakey.

I'd think tracing the boat registration may help since nowadays boats and trailers tend to travel together.

ALso please put some .'s in your posts as the stream of consciousness is hard to read and follow.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ca trailer registration is a mess to say the least. I've yet to come across a DMV clerk that can advise on anything but the basic first time buyers registration process and the most routine of title transfer process. There is a form not unlike a bill of sale that is downloadable from www.dmv.ca.gov that can be used to transfer the trailer into your name. Therin lies your problem, on that form, the current registered owner is the one that has to fill out the form and sign it. Your seller isn't that person so now you either have to find the actual registered owner or scrap this one and buy another one.

The old trick of taking it to a wrecking yard, selling it as scap then buying it back from the wrecker as a salvaged trailer and registering might still work but it would be hard to find a scrap yard that would go along with that today.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Basically number one verify the trailer is not stolen next find the current registered owner Utah dmv worker said they could not release this?

Of course they cannot just release that info, BUT, if you file the proper paperwork and fees they will gladly supply it to you. It's all in the paperwork and fees! You need to apply for a title search through Utah if that is where the last registared owner was.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

The seller claims not to have any registration at all.