Buying a '00 2002 Walk around Need Advise?

rand5g

Cadet
I am looking over a 2000, model 2002 walkaround trophy boat with a 150 hp mercury engine. The boat is said to have under 50 hours total use but was stored outside. Anything specific I should be looking for when giving this boat a look over. I am buying froma dealer who took on a trade. They are going to be fixing anything that needs it. But I have to put together the list of things to be fixed. That aside, has anyone had any horro stories to steer me away form this model boat. Any body know anything I should know. Is this engine big enough to get around well. I'll take any info any one has to offer up on this boat, thanks Rand

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Buying a '00 2002 Walk around Need Advise?

You should stop by the Bayliner Owners Club...there are a lot of Trophy owners there and the 2002/2052 is probably the most popular model Trophy around. That being said, I have nothing to complain about on my 2005 Trophy 2052 after having her for two full seasons. Before that I had a 2003 Trophy 1802 for two seasons without a problem. The biggest complaint you're going to have with the 2002 is the in deck fish boxes. They will fill with water after rain, cleaning, etc and you need to pump them down. Other than that they're great boats for the money. Is this a "Pro" model (it will say it on the side)? Make sure all pumps work - especially the bilge pump since it will be tough to get to. Have a survey done on the hull and motor for peace of mind. It's a worthwhile $400 investment. Other than that It's a good, dry boat. :)

Bayliner Owners Club

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you end up buying the 2002? If so how do you like it?

Bob Huff

Cadet

I purchased 2005 2002 model and love it. Iconcur though that the fishboxes fille up with water when it rains or you was the boat. Very poor design there.

teeman

Cadet

Don't feel bad i have a 2005 2302 and my fish wells fill up too:(:(

Bob Huff

Cadet

Anyone tried putting some rubber molding around the edges of the fish box lid? I plan on trying that when I pull it out for the season

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the hull comes with a 10 year warranty that goes with the boat till it expires.....that was what I read about my 2359 hardtop

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the hull comes with a 10 year warranty that goes with the boat till it expires.....that was what I read about my 2359 hardtop

Yes and no. The boat DOES come with a 10 year hull warranty to the original owner. It must be transferred at time of sale to the second owner and there is a transfer fee which I believe is $100. If that transfer did not occur then the 10 year warranty is no longer in affect for the second owner.

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone tried putting some rubber molding around the edges of the fish box lid? I plan on trying that when I pull it out for the season

I have a 2004 2302 Trophy Pro and stopped mine from filling up! Now I keep it covered, saves it from the sun too.

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey mole.....thanks for the advise, I have to find out if I am the 2 nd or 3 rd buyer, but that is good info to have next time

sixpax4x4

Recruit

I have a 00 2002 wa. I have had it about a year and a half now. It has the 120 force on it. I have been verry happy with the boat, handling, room, comfort and ride. The motor is a little under powered but suits me well enough. A 150 should be real nice. I have been caught out in about 3' waves which is enough for me. But think it will handle rougher water fairly well.

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 2002, 2359, and my fish wells fill up too. I tried rubber gasketing but it didn't seem to do much good. I just keep a small hand pump to pump them out. If anyone has used rubber gaskets that work, please advise what kind they are.

Thanks,

Neverhome

NWFisher

Cadet

I have a year 2000 model 2002. It has the extended hardtop, merc 150, merc 9.9 kicker with remote start, throttle and steer, Raymarine electronics including radar, electric windlass, geez, tandum axle trailer...basically lots on things.

It's been reliable and everything works as they should. I bought it used several years ago and am very pleased. I think my worst issue is the merc 150 which is a 2-stroke oil burner that smokes more than my family's liking. It runs great, nothing wrong with it, but depending on winds and boat speed the fumes can carry into the cabin. I am hoping to repower in the next two months with the top coices being Verado 175, Optimax 175, or a Suzuki 175. I'm told these new motors are excellent and I'm leaning toward the optimax 175 as these new 2-strokes are lower noise, burn much less oil, and more fuel efficent.

The boat is great. The cabin works well for all of us, heck, even me at 6 foot 4. If I could change anything I'd like a little higher windshield but then that's probably because I'm tall. Some owners complain that the fishwells will fill with water while parked but I haven't experienced that. However, the fishwells don't pump dry which is a minor annoyance. Also the fishwell pumps are a real treat to remove and clean but I've figured it out so it's not too much of challenge and they rarely require cleaning if you keep a clean deck. I have a few spyder cracks on the top starboard deck by the cabin which are not uncommon on fiberglass boats so I'm not too concerned.

My trailer is tandum axle and I wouldn't be comfortable with a single axle. Like most trailers splashed in saltwater brakes can be a problem. I tried nursing the drum brakes with flush kits and lots of care but after too much hassle replaced them with Kodiak silver cadium discs. Awesume brakes so far and the bearing seals are the best I've seen! The lights were replaced with LEDs and I'm much happier and always road ready.

I tow with a 3/4 ton chev silverado and it's like the boat isn't there. I wonder how well the midsize vehicles handle with this in tow...probably just fine too.

What else...Not much...I had water getting into the cabin and it took awhile to find the source. I finally discovered it was following the boweye threads so I reinforced it with a hardwood backing plate and used a lot of sealant resulting in a completely dry cabin again. It's surprising how much water found way down those threads. I added water separator fuel filters and mounted them inside the bilge. Any work down here is a stand on your head and work through a small hatch thriller. The washdown pump failed twice which is also in the bilge area. This time I added a prefilter before the pump and hope it will stand the test of time. I added all the electronics so I've been through most all the wiring and didn't find any unexpected surprises except maybe routing wires through the extended hardtop tubes...more thrilling adventure stuff but again got it done (only one side was drilled for tube access and I had too many wires for one tube...nylon fishtape is the only way to go!). The overhead electronics box is sweet.

Trim tabs, wipers, kicker bracket all good...dual batteries which may get replaced with the repower this year...oh, the built-in battery charger is an excellent addition if not already on the boat. My boat has hydraulic steering which is nice.

Give your possible purchase a good inspection. Take it for a test drive and check all systems. Have it professionally inspected. This is a popular boat and for good reasons. It's good design, good construction, few weaknesses, affordable to operate, handles well in rough seas, provides a mostly dry ride, I like the versatility of a walk around, and a very useable cabin and deck space. We fish and crab in the salts, fish, swim and tow toys at the lake...yeah, nice boat.

NWFisher

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think my worst issue is the merc 150 which is a 2-stroke oil burner that smokes more than my family's liking. It runs great, nothing wrong with it, but depending on winds and boat speed the fumes can carry into the cabin.

NWFisher
when was the last time you decarboned your engine? You should do it every 50-100 hrs. Use Sea Foam for the decarboning, and then run Star Tron in your gas every time you add gas, it will keep the carbon in check, and it also treats the gas for H2O as well, the Ethenal added to todays gas will attract H2O, and it is a stablizer as well, keeps gas fresh up to a yr. Check these products out! That two stroke will run cleaner...Oh if you use a synthetic oil that will help as well. I love my 2 stroke! mine hardly smokes or smells. And runs like a raped ape!

NWFisher

Cadet

Hi Frankie g,

Great suggestion, decarbing the engine. I've been planning to do that and the can of sea foam is already on the shelf but I haven't got it done. I use star-tron additive for the fuel too.

I've never purposely decarbed the engine other than to run it hard. I suppose that's not the same as sea foaming. I have the procedure...oh, I remember now, I don't have a small fuel tank to connect to the engine. I was hoping to pick one up at a garage sale. It runs well and does around 40mph but it will foul the plugs so I change them as needed, usually twice a season.

You think the sea foam will make a notable difference?

Thanks Frankie!

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

nwfisher,
That, and using a synthetic oil!!!!! Yes! Remember to sea foam it til it stops the smoke...I heard of some people having to do it two or three times, so get to work. :D

Downrigger

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1998 WA2002 and love it since dumping the POS Force engine for a 175 Merc last year. The boat handles excellent in moderatly rough seas and is a very stable platform for fishing. Te only issued I've had with the boat were the original motor which left me stranded and on the kicker 3 times, the steering which broke on me the second time out and left me on the kicker.

If it has been stored outside you need to make sure all the dash electronics and switches work okay for all they control. Lights, bilge pumps and other equipment. Check that the panel guages aren't faded away, check the function of the ignition switch, motor controls and throttle mounted trim controls functional. If it has a music radio and speakers check those functional.

One eI have with the boat is the pump that pumps out the fish boxes. When one box goes dry the pump will suck air and barely pump out the other box. There is also an aggrevating filter on the suction of the pump that constantly plugs with...DUH....scales and normal debris from the boxes. So much so you may have to clean it under way to enable pumping the boxes and prevent flooding the boxes. A real PITA and a poor design at best. I never use the fish boxes for fish for that reason. They also fill rapidly if you wash down the deck while fishing and the often inability to get them pumped down is a PITA in that case also. In order to facilitate pumping them down I use rubber plugs in the outlet of each box and plug one to pump out the other and then switch. It works but if designed properly it shouldn't be necessary.