? buy new etec?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm in the market for a new outboard, around 90 to 115 hp range and notice a lot of dealers in this area are having clearance sales on evinrudes. I love the look of the Etecs, and the savings now are in the 6-8 thousand off regular price, but i hesitate because the motors are discontinued. Do you think parts and service will become an issue in years ahead? The dealers offer a 3 year warranty, is this standard for outboards?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I asked my dealer about a 150 / 200 E-tec project motor in January.-----Hoping to still get one or possibly 2 of them.-----I will also look into the laptop software / diagnostic kit for these.-------If you trust your dealer to support the product I would buy one.------I believe the Evinrude brand name is not dead , nor is the Johnson brand name.----I believe they will provide parts for years to come or the aftermarket will kick in to high gear.----I believe there will be a new product with Evinrude logo by boat show season.

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer
Far as I've seen parts & accessories & warranty are still working fine. As per my clains i've done..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The situation is different for every application.-----Well to do folks these days , that perhaps need the boat to get to an island summer place think different.------They always have new product with dealer support and warranty.------Boaters that operate from the driveway are different.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
My opinion ...no. The dealers in my area have all switched to Mercury. Have heard that several area dealers had their Etec stock picked for online auction..

matt167

Captain
A Youtube video suggested that Etec only held 11% of the market share. If that is true, that is a sliver at best.

BRP will still need to honor a warranty for the duration of the warranty period if it is sold as new with warranty. If you want emissions legal 2 stroke, now is your last chance. If Evinrude comes back it will likely be a re branded 4 stroke

Wrekked

Seaman Apprentice
Part of the chapter 11 is to produce parts for the next 12 years I believe. Other than needing the diagnostics these engines are not too complicated for any decent mechanic. One downside is needing to add 2 stroke oil at ~$60 (CAD) a bottle every +-150 gallons.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
On a related subject. I suspect 2 cycle DI outboard motors are going extinct. Although they are not more or less complicated that 4 cycle motors, it appears the consumer wants 4 cycle motors.

Anyone share that view?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Correct----In my opinion the vast majority of the public knows very little about machinery.----Does not know how a 2 stroke works.----Assumes that smoke from exhaust means that there is something WRONG with the motor.-----None of the big outboards today are rebuildable as they are too complicated and high tech.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Consumers imho fell for a false narrative that 4 strokes are always cleaner than 2 strokes.My 60 etec produces less crap than any 4 stroke out there.The test results are out there for all to see.The 90 -115hp,s are very reliable.In a few years I belive Evinrude will turn the boating world on its head.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I think we have seen the last for Evinrude, except, perhaps as some unrelated marketing scheme, as it is still well-known.

I think 2 cycle outboards will go nearly extinct, in the US, as 2 cycle motorcycles have. Other parts of the world will likely still have them.

To be fair, there is no good reason to have a new 2 cycle DI motor these days, IMO. They are nearly as heavy as the 4 cycle motors and as complicated, electrically. They do not have a HP rating advantage over 4 cycle motors, and boats are being built to carry the weight and size of 3 and 4 four cycle high HP motors.

It is also a status thing. My neighbor had twin 225HP Mercs (4 cycle), that went bad. Replacement is $40K or so for new motors. He would rather not have a boat, than repower with cheap 2 cycle 200HP Mercs, which are plentiful.

I would go with the smoke...but that is just me....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It is also a status thing. My neighbor had twin 225HP Mercs (4 cycle), that went bad. Replacement is $40K or so for new motors. He would rather not have a boat, than repower with cheap 2 cycle 200HP Mercs, which are plentiful.
Nothing “status” about a pair of 225 (mid-HP range) motors hanging of the back.

No better way to kill the resale value of a boat than to hang 2 strokes on the back.

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was at an Evinrude dealer last week purchasing some parts for a 1958 Evinrude 7-1/2. I asked the owner about BRP dropping production of the Evinrude outboards. He told me they just aren't building them - their supply chain was affected by the virus. He indicated Evinrude was working on a big project that they are keeping under wraps. Not sure if that is true or not but it is not like BRP to give up.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When BRP dropped the line, they made a deal with Mercury Marine to Follow up on parts and warranty claims. For how long?

I've been a confirmed Evinrude guy since 1968. My boathouse has 39 of them hanging on the walls, and my classics all carry a 'Rude on the back.

That said, my last 2 boats were from Brunswick, and thus had 4-stroke Mercs on the back. They are soooooo good that I won't go back.

Lots of rumors about a new 'Rude. I dunno.

I'm old and grey now. Merc 4-strokes are the only ones in my future. Sorry Ole. If it weren't for bad management , BRP would not have been in the picture in the first place. If BRP would have been a good old USA company, maybe things would be different....

Just my opinion....