Business CEO Responsibilities Question

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Business CEO Responsibilities Question

pjc & DU, I'll respond in some detail later, when I get some time. (may be a couple of weeks).<br /><br />I will say now that I wasn't refering to all CEOs and that I'm sure there are many who work their a**es off, operate with integrety, and provide enough value to justify every cent of the compensation package they receive. If I offended any CEOs on this board who fit that description, my appologies; my thoughts weren't meant to be directed at all CEOs.<br /><br />I still think we've experienced a problem with CEO compensation in enough businesses (including some very large ones) to present a valid concern. It's not related to capitalism; I strongly agree that people can earn whatever someone will pay them. Rather it's related to a flaw in the internal corporate governence system that seems to have developed (worsened?) over the past 15 or 20 years. <br /><br />If you're interested, I'll provide more detail about my thoughts and some references when I get some time.<br /><br />Like I said, this is an issue I noticed years ago. Haven't stayed current with it, and based on some of the things I've looked at this morning, the problem seems to be being addressed in some areas.<br /><br />pjc: how in the world did you manage to slip the 'Liberal/ Conservative' issue into this? To me, it's purely a business issue. <br /><br />DJ: like I said, I agree that anyone should be allowed to make whatever they can get someone to pay them for their honest labor (although it's probably understood, we better put in the disclaimer that that doesn't include fraud or scams).<br /><br />That's why it's curious that you mention the amount athletes make. Same as other entertainers (actors, musicians, etc), the market dictates how much they are worth. I personally think it's too much to pay $150 or more for tickets to a football or basketball game. By not going, I'm indirectly demonstrating with my wallet that I think athletes are overpaid. But there are enough people out there who will pay huge amounts for tickets. One could argue that entertainers (including athletes) are some of the most fairly compensated workers in a truely capitalistic society since the value they produce (in $'s) is much more easily measurable than the value produced by individuals in many other professions. My reference had to do with when the system in baseball got out of whack awhile back due to the ineptitude of owners who couldn't control spending amongst themselves. They started paying athletes more than they were worth (according to the value they provided the enterprise) and thereby threatened the viability of the team's/ league's future unless there was a correction made to the system. The correction that baseball made was to institute a salary cap; another could have been to let teams go bankrupt, but as a country we value sports too much to risk losing the 'home team'. Will explain more later about how that relates to my thughts about some of the problems with executive compensaton at some corportatons (and to preclude the issue, no, I don't think caps for CEOs is the answer).

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

LL, I noted the lib/Conservative deal here due the, IMO, biased media that provides editorials and the like regarding CEO wages, CEO violation of business ethics, and so forth. Ever read a monthly "Unity News" Union newspaper? I do, and I am a Represented person btw. The, and here I go, proportionately Liberal Media that has a definite slant to-wards the American Democratic Political Party have and do craft their delivery of "CEO" coverage in the context that can cause (and does) the general citizenry to become biased to-wards ALL CEO managerial positions via introducing the emotional "we-vs-them" that has a substantial influence to-wards creating, or influencing, public opinion as well as sentiment. I do note that the portion of conservative base media do deliver the facts regarding CEO scandals, but do not sensationalize it, nor do they deliver in a context that is intended to build opinion. Just my experience as well as opinion. <br /><br />My time as run out for now, I have been summoned to make popcorn for my kids......I will add further later........ :)

Triton II

Commander

I too have worked as a CEO. It was not of a billion dollar corporation but of a multi-million dollar aviation association. I was compensated at a rate directly proportional to the number of members the association gained during my tenure. This may not be on a scale with others who have contributed to this thread but the semantics are the same.<br /><br />Let's assume the members are the shareholders.<br /><br />Let us also assume that the members need to have "ownership" and feel they are an important part of a successful organisation. Let's also say that by being happy with their membership, they encourage other members to join.<br /><br />So how do you set yourself up to succeed in this environment?<br /><br />1. You make sure the board are aware of the current issues that surround the company and you make them think they are driving the ship by giving them the tools to make necessary changes to suit the current environment you are operating in.<br /><br />2. You make sure the board convey their proactive activities by ensuring your staff communicate the current thinking/activities to the shareholders.<br /><br />3. You then make sure the staff make this message as positive as possible - by hiring the right staff in the first place. It's all about communication.<br /><br />Fortunately, I have a good association with one of Australia's most successful businessmen who earns more money than any Australian CEO (they're on small change compared to the USA!). He states that he's succeeded because he surrounds himself with people who are good at what they do. That's his secret - if he didn't know how to do something, he found someone who did know how to do it and involved them.<br /><br />I no longer work as a CEO. Even small companies expect way more than most humans can adequately give and it's very debilitating. I discovered after five very hectic but financially lucrative years that my family suffered. I'm now divorced, but I am fortunate in that I get to keep the kids for 50% of the time. That's compensation way above any monetary gain and I'm happier than I ever have been.<br /><br />Good luck to all aspiring business owners and CEOs. Conversely, greedy people make me sick and that's where the balance of a strong board comes in - keep out the one year wonders who scream for 'severance packages' - they don't deserve to be spat on when they catch fire. <br /><br />There, I feel better now. :rolleyes: