Bushfires and Drought.

Kiwi Phil

Commander
The drought has finally caught up with me. Having to run the town water in to the dam to keep the pump from pumping mud.<br />Am probably loosing as much if not more water from evaporation as on the plants.<br />My Spring sales are down, so I guess that indicates the home gardener is suffering too.<br />I will get by though. No great overheads.<br />Add to that the Bush Fires. <br />They are increasing in number and size. Last Friday we had high winds and 37C. By 2pm the whole place was orange from the smoke blotting out the sun. It is a real strange feeling.<br />Hasn't got much better since then. A continual smell of smoke in the air, especially about 5am when it is very still. Wife has given up trying to keep the washing smoke free. Makes sure it is out on the line just after dawn when a breeze clears away a bit of smoke, and back in the basket dry about 1 or so hours later.We just live with it.<br />So far, nothing in our immediate area ( sunday they were about 5miles away)so we should be right.<br />Unless we get rain and lift the humidity , this summer may be a tough one. Mind you, once a fire has been through and area, its safe for a year or 2.<br />For us, it is probably not as bad as it sounds, just inconvienient, and lost income too, but no worries.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Bushfires and Drought.

Didn't realise it was that bad in Queensland, haven't seen anything on the news. Hopefully you get a good wet this year, 2 years ago (November) in Airlie Beach it bucketed down, I swear it hurt when the droplets hit you it was so hard and constant - 5 days straight.<br /><br />Any news on the boat situation?<br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Just the SE corner. Kilcoy to the coast. Just patches here and there. Today it is just smoke haze everywhere. Can't see the hills. Plus it is very hot.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

We have a season of such concerns here. But ours is March-May.<br />Hadf some close calls in the past,(1992 and 1996), but we managed to save the house.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> We have a season of such concerns here. But ours is March-May.<br />
That allows 'Elvis' to work both hemispheres, for which we are thankful.<br /><br />Aldo

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Gee, that "Elvis" is one amazing bird.<br />There are a lot of people thankful for his last minute appearence, like that team of "firies" huddled in their old International Fire Truck in the middle of an inferno thinking life was finished when bingo, where the hell did that ton or ten of water come from.<br />Was it last year you guys had a real bad season.<br />Fire Crews from over here were going over to relieve some of your crews. It seemed to go on for ever. i watched a documentary on it, and was amazed at the scale.<br />We just about got burnt out maybe 6 years back. Missed us by about 100m. That's an amazing memory.<br />We have a sealed bin in the walk-in-wardrobe. It contains passports, birth certificates, family photos, dog licience etc. If we have to move out fast, that's all we take.<br />As the area become more inhabitated, the risk lessons for a few years, then as people plant native trees etc so the risk increase. Don't think it will get back to what it was though.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip