Bunks or rollers?

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm doing a little early research. Long before I get back to my restore I need to make a decision about my choice of trailer. I had a rusty trailer break in half on the freeway before (long story). At some point I'm getting a galvanized trailer so that won't happen again.

Before I decide to either patch work the trailer I have or buy another, I want to know the PROS and CONS of a trailer w/rollers. First thing told to me was when backing down a ramp the boat could roll off the trailer before you're ready. I'll be doing a lot of launching and loading the boat alone, so I thought rollers may make that easier. My boat is aluminum.

gostephen

Seaman
Re: Bunks or rollers?

i love my roller trailer over bunks but that is personal opinion
i never have a problem with the boat rolling off the trailer before im ready, just keep the winch strap and safety chain on till you are at least touching water. part of the reason i like it is i can launch from shallow water easier cause the boat rolls off easier. as for loading i usually power load (the ramps around here go way into the water so i wont chew up the end of the ramp)
i have never had a problem with loading the boat straight

j_martin

Admiral

I've seen rollers pound aluminum boats till they cracked, and fiberglass boats till they're mushy. If you trailer the boat little, and need to launch it in shallow water, rollers is the way to go. If you plan to travel with it, and have decent boat launches, bunks is the way to go.

One man loading while keeping your feet dry is normal with bunks, almost impossible with rollers.

A shallow water dump off is impossible with bunks, easy with rollers.

It all depends.

my 02
John

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Regarding the comment that it's near impossible to load a roller trailer alone and keep your feet dry... well, I do it all the time. And it doesn't require power loading, either.

Our trailer has a spare tire on the front that is vertically oriented on the right side. Before backing the trailer down the ramp, I roll out the winch strap about five feet, lock the winch and put the clip on top of the tire. Then I back the trailer in until the water is just at the top of the fenders. When I bring the boat onto the trailer, I snuggle the bow up to the forward rollers, keep the throttle in forward gear at idle so the boat will stay in position, walk up into the bow, reach out to pick up the winch strap from the spare tire and lean over the bow to hook it to the bow eye.

I've also done this with the winch clip put on a forward roller that is out of the water (instead of the spare tire), but I'm short and it's harder for me to reach that far down, but it can be done. The trick, and only with practice will it be mastered, is to make sure you have enough winch strap unrolled.

Keep in mind the tongue of the trailer and the winch itself is over water, so I can't winch the boat onto the trailer and keep my feet dry... not yet anyway.

Shut down engine, tilt drive up, hop out of the boat, walk up the courtesy dock so I'm even with the winch handle, then count the number of steps until I'm even with first dry land on the ramp (usually 2 or 3 steps). Now walk up to truck even with door handle, pace the same number of steps forward in parallel with the direction of the truck and eyeball a spot on the ground I think I can see from the driver's seat. Jump back in truck and slowly pull up those few feet so the door handle is even with my eyeballed spot, then stop and secure the parking brake. Hop out. Winch is now over dry land while the back of the boat is still in the water. Crank winch tight and fasten safety chain.

Lots of words, but it's all done in a matter of seconds, especially when using a ramp I know well (already know spot to pull up to).

And, as others have said, the roller trailer is a dream to use when water levels are down as they are in our area. Much easier to crank the boat than with bunks.

Sorry, I can't respond to claims that rollers will damage the hull. Our tinny is only two years old. So far, so good.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I go for the bunk trailer anytime, better support no wheel marks more stable.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My roller trailer is great. Leave the safety and winch connected till you are down the ramp and ready to float and you will have no problem. Bunks are fine as well and the same safety rules apply.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

bunks. more support, i never have any problems loading or unloading mine. and they can be re-carpeted to protect the boat more.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone. I have enough info to make a decision, but feel free to keep the opinions coming.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm doing a hull repair and I do travel a LOT to get to fish. Sounds like support is the main benefit with bunks, so I guess I'm going with bunks. Rollers sure look cool thou'.

boatguy19

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a bunk trailer and love it, gives more support and doesent leave roller marks on my boat.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roller Trailer: Good for launching at shallow-water ramps, can put dents or stress cracks in hulls, depending on hull weight, road conditions and quality of trailer. Nice roller trailers are NICE, poorly-constructed roller trailers may cost you a boat.

Bunk Trailer: Offers good support, hard to build a bad one, inexpensive, easy to repair.

Best of both worlds: Bunk trailer with glide sticks attached to the bunks.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best of both worlds: Bunk trailer with glide sticks attached to the bunks.
Glide sticks? That raises an eyebrow. What are 'glide sticks'? Sounds like something I want to know more about.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bunks for me. If you can't load and unload with bunks you have no business being there. Rollers add a good 2 inches to your overall height. That sucks fuel and makes loading harder.

I don't powerload but I do idle on to the trailer. My winch strap has never seen daylight except for about four feet. I amaze people at the ramp. Ive had a few say you cant do that. I say, why not, I just did, you saw it.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

It is really all what you are used to. I prefer bunks enough that on the current boat I converted the roller trailer to bunks. I can confirm that the fiberglass hull has 16 little depressions. One where each roller was. It also has black marks on the hull from the rollers. As for launching/retrieving, the ONLY benefit I see is shallow water operation. I don't power load my bunk trailer, simply coast/idle on, and I only have to winch about a couple feet.

BTW, to answer your question, Glide Slicks ar plastic strips/pads that you mount to the bunks. when they are wet they are slick and the boat slides on them pretty easily. As for ease of winching a boat on the trailer, I would rate them as 1. Bunk, 2. Bunk w/glide slicks, 3. Roller, Bunk being the hardest to winch, roller being the easiest. That is not to say bunks are so hard to winch that you are going to break your boat, just harder than glide slicks or rollers. I had glide slicks on my last boat and they really do help without being so slick that the trailer acts like a roller trailer. If it were me, I would go with a bunk trailer and see how it does. If I found it too hard to winch I would then add a set of glide slicks. I'd try it without first though. They are easy to put in with a cordless drill at the ramp. I did mine on the last boat by launching the boat on a quite night, tying it to the dock (Not enough boats for it to be in the way) and walked to the truck and put them on in about 10 minutes.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Defiantly bunks, I like the simplicity and hull support they provide. Also, if you having hard time pushing your boat off the bunks, use Liquid Rollers spray on bunk carpet. It helps a lot on shallow ramps.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a slam dunk now. Sorry roller guys, but I'm going with the bunks with glide sticks. Good support for an aluminum boat on long trips is the way to go. Thanks to everyone.