Bunk style trailer debating new axle length

SoArkSi

Cadet
I have a 20 ft sweetwater toon and have a galvanized trailer with a single axle that pretty much grenaded this weekend. Believe it is a 2000lb axle. it is a bunk style trailer with a appox. 5ft axle that tucks the short wide pontoon tires between the frame and toons. The boat rocks back and forth real bad and figured this might have somthing to do with my axle having the bearings go early. Would a 75" axle help with the sway better? The only thing is I will have to "lift " the suspension to make the tires clear the pontoons but would ride better. Should I have another identical axle put in but a 3500lbs one, or up to a 3500lbs wider axle???? the shorter one would swap back easier and the longer one would require some fab work but thats ok. I am just thinking about long term reliability. Thanks for any suggestions.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bunk style trailer debating new axle length

You cannot use a longer axle unless you widen the frame... If you extend the axle past the springs it will bend at the springs

Does it "rock" or "sway"... If it is swaying it MOST LIKELY doesn't have enough tongue weight.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Bunk style trailer debating new axle length

If it had a 2000lb axle on it then my bet is that the sway is caused by the under sized leaf springs that would have gone with that axle. You can't just plop a 3500lb axle under it and call it good, the springs and the frame of the trailer need to be able to support the weight that you are actually hauling.