Bultaco Motorcycle

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
bul.jpgI know a Bike is way off the Boat topic but I thought I would share a good story of my Bultaco I have.

This is a 77 Alpina 350.The thing is I have "OWNED" this since it was nearly new and I was a youngster.

Me and my brother got it when we were teenagers.When I was around 25 I moved out to California for about 5 years in the early 90s and I could not take the bike with me.Rather than let it sit outside at my Moms I gave it away to a friend in a small town near me.

Fast forward around 15 years or so to about three years ago.I had a KDX200 Kawasaki I sold to a guy and delivered it to him.On the way home my old Bultaco popped into my mind.I turned to the wife and said,"I wish I could find my old Bultaco I had when I was a kid and restore it".I told her though I was sure it was in the Scrapiron pile by now.

The next day I went to a guy who works on bikes and ATVs in his garage to look for a part for my Sons little DS80 and I somehow brought the Bultaco subject up.I told him I used to have one and he lives only about 12 miles from the town it went too when I gave it to my buddy.He says to my surprise that a guy was in there the past summer trying to sell a basket case Bultaco and I said that has to be mine,as I have never seen another in nebraska.

He said he still had his number wrote down and I went home and called that eve and talked to the guy and sure enough he still had it,it did cost me 150.00 to get back a bike I gave away but I was still thrilled.I asked him a few questions to verify it was mine and from what he told me,it was definitley it.I went the very next morning and sure enough it came back home.Made me kinda sad as it was beutiful bike but in pieces now..

I was even at this guys house that had my bike about 2 months earlier at a garage sale they were having,but at that time did not see the bike buried in the garage.I even still had the title for it.

Anyway I spent about six months restoring it and heres a pic of it..Hopefully it will never leave me again and it can be passed onto one of my kids..I have alot of good memorys riding this when I was younger..One particuliar good memory is with my faithful dog.He was kinda a lab mix and I called him Cinnamon.He loved riding on the Bultaco more than me I think and would sit on the tank and put his paws on the bars..The first time he rode he jumped off but loved it after that..He was lost or stolen though but it is still a great memory that still makes me smile when I think of him.Wish he could come back home too...

And yes,the wife hates it being in the house but thats where it stays in the winter time,I told her if you have ever seen a Bultaco shivver its a horrible thing you will not soon get out of your mind.Heck I would have the little GW Invader in the bedroom if it would only fit...

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: Bultaco Motorcycle

Very cool.

I have been recently wondering what happened to all of the the "cool" bikes, especially the motocross, enduro, hare scramble, trials, etc., bikes that dominated these sports, until the "Japanese invasion", of the middle 70's.

Bultaco. Husqvarna, Penton, CZ. These were all bikes that the "big money" was following and were ridden by the top riders, of the day. Many of these great bikes were likely rolled back into the corner, when the new Honda Elsinores, etc, and their lucrative rider contracts, came out.

Of course whatever the pros were riding, the amateurs HAD to ride. ;)

There has to be some of these classics, stuffed away in the back of a shop, somehwere.

How great is it, that you found your old bike and was able, bring it back, to it'r rightful glory..

Awesome.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Way off of boats topics, but a perfect fit for Non-Boating Tech. Moving this there.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

What about the Maco I will never forget seeing Danny Magoo Chandler for the 1st time at Mid Ohio @ the U.S. GP he belw everybody away in the open class on that 490 man what power. I also remember when team husky used to sell off thier bikes after 5 or 6 races when supercross was just starting out a friend of mine's genadfather bought a pair of them for like 5 grand back in the early 80's and man thoase bike were vertually untouchable especially on the straightaways . Man this brings back memories that will **** my wife off seriously bad!!! HEE HEE HEE. Great post and better yet great bike (lucky dog) There is only one thing better than being on the water and that is being on the dirt or in it.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,sorry for posting it in the wrong category..Excited to ride it if the dang weather here in Nebraska ever actually improves...I actually had a 70s Husky 250 I bought in Ca and brought it back here when I returned,I had to partially tear it apart to fit it in my 70 Skylarks trunk, but that ones never coming back as I know a guy parted it out..Too Bad

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I owned a 74 Husky 250 for a few years. Great bike for only 4 1/2" travel. Broke both my wrists on that baby.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Oh that brings back a lot of memories..I owned most every one mentioned. I owned somewhere around 30 bikes by the time I was 22. I was lucky enough to have a guy that constantly had a garage full of bikes he worked on across the street. He was a few years older than me and took me under his wing and let me 'work for bikes' basically.
You can never go wrong with a Husky, but of the old bikes, My CZ250 was my favorite I think out of all because of the way it felt like I was molded into that bike.
My Maco was nick-named Maco Breako. I had a Bultaco Pursang that was a beast.
The little Hodaka Combat Wombat was a runner for a 125 back then but the 125 Elsinore I had was the best in that class.
My first bike was a '68 Honda rorin' 90 with the trail & highway gears.

Glad you got you old dream back, carbineone. That's cool.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I've still got my '68 Honda Trail 90 that was my first new bike. My Grandfather bought it for my 10th birthday. I'm planning on starting restoring it this spring.

Quad82

Seaman Apprentice

This hits home. I too grew up with the old bikes. Started out on a 1970 Indian and moved up to a 1975 Hodaka. Both being new. When I graduated high school, I gave the Hodaka to a friend. He went into the service and the bike was sold. I still look on Ebay thinking about buying another. Glad you passion came back full circle!

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on finding your old bike thats cool. I~m in the process of restoring my Dads 72 Suzuki GT550 right now. It has 4203 miles and is in Great shape. When I get done with that one I`m going to do mine. 76 AJS 410 stormer, I used to ride ice with it back in my younger years.

dolluper

Captain

I had a Suzuki 400 cyco the thing was dangerous and I'm sure you could climb a tree with it...brings back foolish memorys....great to get an old bike back 4 sure ...wish I had mine back...check this link out it will make you cry seeing one of your old bikes ...they got one of my old cyclone
http://www.theowencollection.com/motorcycles.html

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I was home on home on leave after about five years in the Army when I saw a bike for sale that reminded me of an old bike I used to own.

I turned the car around to get a better look and, sure enough, it was my old CB750F that I sold when I was leaving for basic.
This thread makes me kick myself again for not buying it back right there. The bike was gone the next day and the home owner had no contact info for the seller. He just let the guy park it there and wasn't the seller.

CB750 punched out to 850, Kerker enhaust, and Accel ignition. My first bike and some great (and scary) memories.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

WOW, sweat rides all of them!
I would buy basket cases when growing up and me and Dad would get them going, ride them for a while then try something bigger or newer.
196? honda trail 55, yammy lt100, yammy rt 360, yammy 400 special 197? kawasaki 500 triple 2 stroke (bro in laws, but mine to hold on to) yammy xt350 and now xt 600, and the wifes 1982 xt 250 (needs pipe and seat replaced).

MRS

Commander

Bought a 250 Maico from sweet ducks in covina brand new for 1,100.00 was the last of the square heads. Raced all the locale tracks Indian dunes, Saddle back, Rawhide, Valley cycle center, Carlsbad best times of my life. At that time could still beat the jap bikes with only a four speed tran's.... Plus had a freind that had a 400 husky that hated my Maico could never beat me with that nasty Husky hop..... Plus raced Irwindale when they had a day track not the night track it was so much fun....:D

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Plus had a freind that had a 400 husky that hated my Maico could never beat me with that nasty Husky hop.....

Ahh yes the nasty Husky hop...I had a 400CR. Cured by the lay-down shock mount kit. But what was never cured on the old Huskys was the ball basher tank mounting bolt. Could never tape enough foam rubber over that thing. Not so good times...