Building swim platform AKA:WHALETAIL

the rebel

Seaman
Here is a few pics of a swim platform I'm building for my 220. Going to try to keep total weight in under 90#s. Using 3/4" marine fir and kiln dried cypress for the stringers. A buddy is helping me with it, he used to build small boats with his dad, I am just now learning the materials used in building.

This thing will be indestructible from a flexing standpoint with the size of the stringers he used. One 2x6 and one 2x3. The side stringers are also 2x material. Might be overkill, but he didn't want it to flex with kids jumping off of it and all that goes with that.

I have the vent slots left to cut in it and 1/4 rounding all the edges and trimming the side panels left to do, hopefully it will knock a few pounds off of it. It's tipping the scales at 60#s right now. The 3 step ladder weighs 10#s and the heavy wall SS struts will be a couple #s.

I'm thinking the 6oz. glass material and resin will be close to 20#s. Still haven't decided on what to finish it with. Thinking of GelCoat. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• whaletail 002 (Large).jpg
    whaletail 002 (Large).jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1
  • whaletail 004 (Large).jpg
    whaletail 004 (Large).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1
  • whaletail 003 (Large).jpg
    whaletail 003 (Large).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1
  • whaletail 009 (Large).jpg
    whaletail 009 (Large).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
  • whaletail 007 (Large).jpg
    whaletail 007 (Large).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Building swim platform AKA:WHALETAIL

I'm curious as to how you're going to mount it.

the rebel

Seaman

I'll use 5/16" SS flat head allen screws through the original 12" rear deck of the boat, with 1/4" delrin runners under the platform mounting pads sandwiched between. That will give enough room for water run off.
For rear support, I'll use the heavy wall SS tubing pictured in the 4th pic, as struts, angled from the transom up to the rear of the swim platform.
I'm hoping this will be a super low maintenance deck after I GelCoat it to match the white color on the boat.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're going to gel-coat it as well, SWEEEET. Remember, whites not white or which color white is it. Also, don't forget the 4200 to seal up the mounting holes. Enjoy.

the rebel

Seaman

I read through the fiberglass thread and gained much knowledge of how the different cloth weights and resins cover plywood. I have a question for the glass guys about glassing over kiln dried cypress wood.
Every one of my wood furniture building friends tells me that cypress needs to breathe and not to seal it completely so it can breathe through at least one edge. If that is the case, it doesn't seem possible to use it for stringers in my platform project. What are your opinions on using and glassing over the dried cypress wood that I used for my platform stringers?

eds3172

Cadet

Um....a swim platform is not also known as a Whale Tale. I'm just sayin:)

the rebel

Seaman

Um....a swim platform is not also known as a Whale Tale. I'm just sayin:)

A Whale Tale is something I told ....... WHALETAIL is what we called our swim platform once we laid it up on the boat.
Now, getting back to the question at hand, anyone, other than eds3172? :)

the rebel

Seaman

Can I get a recommendation on what type and brand of wood filler I can use on my project that will work with fiberglass resin?

the rebel

Seaman

Got word today that I'm pissing in the wind about using this thing as planned. Seems I have a great mold plug on my hands though. What y'all think?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello rebel...

I agree with using this as a plug for mold.

IF you get started in this direction then give updates and we will be able to guide you through :)

YD.

JCNailen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad someone brought that up.... I see many aluminum boats down in these necks with whaletails. What the heck are they for? All I could imagine is to stack crab/crawfish traps on.

the rebel

Seaman

Hello rebel...

I agree with using this as a plug for mold.

IF you get started in this direction then give updates and we will be able to guide you through :)

YD.

10-4. I may just paint this thing and be done with it. After all, it is made up with marine grade plywood and cypress wood. It shouldn't rot for some time to come, :)
Glad someone brought that up.... I see many aluminum boats down in these necks with whaletails. What the heck are they for? All I could imagine is to stack crab/crawfish traps on.
Not sure what they are for on an aluminum fishing boat. I have a ski boat and am building a swim platform with mine. If it doesn't work out for me, I guess I could start trapping crabs and mudbugs for a living to buy a new swim platform. :D

JCNailen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are after the mudbugs, swing by and pick me up! Yum!!! :D

JCNailen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wondering... Why were you told you were pissing in the wind?

PDM8625

Recruit

I'd like to see how this project turned-out. Please post photos.

erikgreen

Captain

post to follow, good start.

Quick note in reply to west's post and the original post:

If you use epoxy to do repair work, keep in mind that you'll need to use a transition coat (IE some expensive resin) to join gelcoat on top of the epoxy.

Same deal with the platform if it's partially built of delrin. Gelcoat won't stick to that at all, so you can't coat it.

I'd recommend a marine paint with a good primer, although again delrin doesn't take paint easily.

The easiest thing to do would be to take it apart, coat the wood with a clear resin or spar varnish, then reassemble.

Erik

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Neat project! Did you take into account what a 90 lb platform will do to performance? Just wondering, because I know that 90 lbs on my transom is noticeable.

Nice work!

jonesg

Admiral

I would abandon the idea and buy one from craigslist made from teak for $200

Or round the corners off and pull a mold off it but that will require putting a smooth finish on it first. Too much work for something you can buy for less than the cost of materials.