Building a larger Transom. Glastron Skiflite V-142 1978.

señorgato

Recruit
Hello everyone. I'm starting the restoration of my V-142 and I've just received the marine ply.
I want to make the new transom larger than the original. Do you guys think that it's a good idea? To me the only downside is the increase in weight. Here is a picture so you can see the original size. I want to build the new one flush on both sides (starboard to port).
The motor will be a 50HP so maybe it's a bit overkill.
Thanks a lot for your replies.0.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Why do you want to do this? Higher doesn't mean stronger, in fact it may be the opposite.

señorgato

Recruit
Hello GA_Boater thanks for your reply!
In fact I don't want to make it higher but only larger, I thought that it could improve the boat's structure! But you are right, I think i'll just stick to the original size.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh
Hello GA_Boater thanks for your reply!
In fact I don't want to make it higher but only larger, I thought that it could improve the boat's structure! But you are right, I think i'll just stick to the original size.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Wise choice,....those transoms are not dead flat either, which complicates goin' from side to side,.....

'n bedsides that, the transom just needs to transfer it's load to the stringers, which is what the original did,....

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome, If it was me and I was considering that I think I would leave it the same shape and just make it thicker

tpenfield

Staff member
Following along . . . you 'could' make your transom wider, but as mentioned the stringers are where the load should be transferred to, not the outer edges of the hull.

If anything, you may want to pay extra attention to the joint between the stringers and the transom. Is there going to be enough room under the splashwell to make the joint more robust, if it was not so already?