Build a plywood boat

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anybody ever built or considered building a wooden boat. I've been considering this a winter project. Looking for input

cyclops2

Banned
Re: Build a plywood boat

Are you used to working with different woods ?
Do you have the abilities to SAFELY operate saw blades ?
How big & what type of boat ?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

dry well maintained wood doesn't rot.... wet neglected wood does indeed rot

I've had 2 plywood boats... neither made by me... One was a 1936 Clyde with a flathead ford v8 60 and was 100% rot free and the other was a 17' hydroplane (champ boat) 5-10 years old with some collision damage. I never did get it repaired and on the water but it too was free from any sign of rot.

tpenfield

Staff member

Anybody ever built or considered building a wooden boat. I've been considering this a winter project. Looking for input

Well, of course people have built wooden boats before. The biggest concern would be the longevity of wood versus other materials.

I recently built a fiberglass-over-foam core dinghy. It was something that I always wanted to do . . . I needed a new dinghy, and I also learned a lot along the way. It was more difficult to build than a wooden boat, but I think the durability over the long run will be worth it.

Here is a Pic of the finished product.
floating.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

I've actually been looking at them a little bit. I'm terrible with tools and thought a small wood boat might be a good way to practice and learn. I've got an old 15hp that I thought would be fun on a small 12-14' runabout (2 seater my son and I could build) or build little sailboat.

I've been looking at plans for a couple of weeks, but haven't landed on anything yet.

For starters, take a look at glen-l.com. They've got a builder's forum where you can get input from people who have actually built their boats. If properly built and cared for there's no reason a wood boat won't live a long life.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

beautiful job on the dingy ted

RB,

IMHO

In the 50's and 60's folks built plywood boats at home (popular mechanics) because it was a cheap way to get on the water.... Now it's MUCH more expensive and used glass boats are cheap and plentiful... It's now a labor of love because you really don't save anything or end up with a better boat... You have to just want a wood boat and be willing to pay and do the work.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My neighbor made one about 20 years ago. he still has it and its in great shape. He is runnning a 70hp johnson.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

My brother and I built a 16' sailboat out of ply and I've known many other who have.

Wooden boat magazine is a greta reference.

cyclops2

Banned

I built a double bottomed 8' x 3' runabout for grand children. All H D EXT. No plans. Just winged it. Valspared it & mini cleats. Added a radio controlled stop switch for adult to stop the Min Kota trolling motor.

My first attempt at a mahogny woodie. Loved it. Still going after 5 years.
Wood that is CAREFULLY SEALED on ALL edges should not rot. If it hits a rock. Dry it and reseal the damage.....Same as damage to Glass or Aluminum. Fix it as soon as it happens.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhhhmmm, nobody bothered to ask you, what style of wood boat are you wanting to build. There's all different styles and each style has different skill levels required to build it. Let us know what you're contemplating and then we can help guide you.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just going to build something in the 12 to 14 foot range. John boat more than likely. We have alot of small trolling only lakes around here most of which only get fished from the bank. I might even make it in two parts so it will fit in my truck. Oh and I am a carpenter by trade who drives a truck for a living because the construction here went to hell. But I have all the tools and most of the knowledge needed. I was just curious if anyone on iboats had built one recently.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, of course people have built wooden boats before. The biggest concern would be the longevity of wood versus other materials.

I recently built a fiberglass-over-foam core dinghy. It was something that I always wanted to do . . . I needed a new dinghy, and I also learned a lot along the way. It was more difficult to build than a wooden boat, but I think the durability over the long run will be worth it.

Here is a Pic of the finished product.
View attachment 128489
so is that done in stitch and glue or do you have to frame it up first?

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I built my first boat, a 12 footer, 4' wide the bottom was mostly flat but curved up about 3 inches where the bow came to a point. I then covered it with fiberglass. Lasted for years until neglect got to it. If I had it to do over I would have just got a cheap jon boat off Craigslist. Not that it wasn't satisfying and taught me alot, but it wasn't cheaper and I would have been on the water sooner. Now if there is a very specific thing your going for that's too expensive or hard to find that's different.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you are wanting to build one to save money then... That is prolly not gunna happen. You can buy a used one cheaper. However, building one, will be rewarding, you will be guaranteed that it is solid and you can do some customization to fit your needs. Check with your state to find out the requirements for liscencing a homebuilt boat.

cyclops2

Banned

Riski

Home Depot sheets of EXT. plywood. Build a 3 sided box strong enough to stand in. Might as well make the bow boat shaped. It will steer a lot better in any wind. Easier to build also.
I did a double sheeted bottom using 2 sheets of 1/4" or whatever mm it is. I glued 1" square strips full length, 10" apart. coated the strips with Titebond II Used weights on the strips. Glued the second bottom on top. Ran 1 " strips around the edges for attaching the wrap around sides.
I did put on cheap SOFT Aluminum angle 1/4" ? on ALL edges after final finishing to protect fragile plywood edges. Also put 3 ...4" x 4" half round discs on the bottom to prevent the plywood from being scratched in a pickup or on rocks & the ground.
I put a continous bead of Silicone rubber in the the 1/4" Aluminum angle to SEAL ALL the plywood seams. 3 /8 " Aluminum might work also. Pre drilled angle strips for screws. Looked great. :)

Rich