build a center console

Selles

Petty Officer 3rd Class
someone has plans or idea to make center console for Whailer13ft

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: build a center console

The easiest would be to locate a prefab console. You can go to Ebay and they have consoles for smaller boats. You can also check on this site as well as other sites. Also, you could whip up a small console out of wood, the older 13 footers had wood consoles as options, so you would be staying within Whaler tradition. Good luck...

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I'm making one right now out of teak....I drew my own plans up.....roughly 28" wide, 14-18" deep and 36" tall.<br /><br />go to http://www.continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage50.html and scroll down....this is a console on a 15' so I made adjustments (mine will look different but I got the idea from here).<br /><br />I looked all over for a console that I liked and since I'm also a woodworker, just decided to make my own...It will be unique,,,,not another one like it.<br /><br />Good luck

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thats a sweet console. Makes me wish I would have gone natural rather than painting mine...

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

talk to folks in your area that build trailers<br />or repair big trailers. the materials they use<br />would be perfect for this IMO. lightweight and<br />waterproof and they may have some scraps cheap.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

yes, really sweet console, but not real sure<br />about a 90 horse on a 15' whaler :eek:

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

That 90 sure made it look a little stern heavy didn't it?<br /><br />I hope my console turns out that good! I'll have to post some pics along the way....Right now just have the plans drawn up....will get the wood next week and see what happens!

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

I built one for the OD16 by Jacques' Mertens. Check my homepage for pics and description on how it was built. It's easily done.

AW

Seaman Apprentice

I built a stand up center for my 15 that looked a lot like that nice teak one. It had room underneath for 2 6-gal metal tanks, and above that it had a seat in the front, and room for the battery inside under the wheel. Having the battery up there was good in that it kept it dry when the boat got swamped. It was made from 3/4 luan plywood, varnished, and it looked beautiful. The problem was when water got under the varnish the outer ply was too thin to allow for much sanding. <br /><br />Standing in the 15 could be tricky under certain conditions because it tended to rock a lot. It might actually be better on the 13 since it has a flatter bottom.<br /><br />I will try to get some pictures of it scanned and post them.