Buffing/Polishing Gelcoat - Cloudy Comes Back

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am working on a 1993 Wellcraft Nova II. The gelcoat has not been maintained as well as it should have been and now that I have it I am now trying to buff out the gelcoat. I was using the 3M fiberglass cleaner polish and then moved up to the 3M Fiberglass restorer, for heavily oxidized gelcoat, from West Marine. Wasn't getting too far with this so I am now up to using Mequiars buffing compound and finisher, levels 12 and 4, respectively. Once I go over it with the level 4 and 12, the gelcoat looks like brand new. After a day or so I see areas getting cloudy again. No particular pattern to the oxidation. I have not washed it after the buffing, nor has it rained, so I know it isn't water spots.

Can anyone give advice on how to get this gelcoat to stay looking new?

Thanks,
Chris

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Buffing/Polishing Gelcoat - Cloudy Comes Back

Open this post.
Read the "boat refinishing" link in it.
FYI, I took mine to a local detailer and had him do it. Cost $300 but was well worth it, took him 2 days. He used corn starch and something else he wont tell me. Looks like a mirror now. He also gave me some stuff to wipe on when I take it out of the water to keep it looking good all the time.
If you do this, make sure you ask if they have done boats before and ask for some references.

edit: Looks like the link is not working. Its at http://www.fiberglassics.com

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most compounds contain oils, oils will tend to hide or mask the dull finish because they soak in and for a short time make the surface look good. As they evaporate the old dull hazy surface returns because it was never completely removed.

If compounds don't do the job you can try wet sanding and then buffing again. Try a small area about 1' x 1' sand it with 800 or 1000 grit and buff it to see if it looks better. leave it for a day or so to see if the shine lasts.

You may need to use coarser or finer grits to get the results you desire because it can be different with each boat.

Do a search here on the subject and you'll get much more info.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to try scrubbing it this weekend, and maybe some acetone, then back to the compound, if needed.
Thanks for the links. I will use the instructions there if I have to go back to the compound. Unfortunately I don't have a slow buffer like he recommends. I have a polisher and Dad has an electric buffer for cars that's older then me. I don't think that one goes slow enough.

Thanks,
Chris

captainzac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://www.boatsuppl...f/COMPOUNDS.pdf
This might help also

What you need to understand is that these compounds are basically liquid abrasive and what you're doing is lightly sanding or polishing your hull. The more faded or "oxidized" your hull is the more you need to compound/polish in order to get back to the original hull color.

Step 1 Compounding: If your topsides are really faded, you should go with the Imperial Compound 3M-06044. This stuff is great at bringing back the original color and knocking out the ugly, faded look. It is applied with the polisher and pad.

Step 2 Finishing: The next step is to follow the Compounding with a Finishing Material boat polish in order to get a glossy, bright finish. We recommend Finesse-It II 3M-09048. Again, you apply this with a polisher and a pad.

Believe it or not, you can get technical about buffing pads, in that there are pads with varying levels of aggressiveness for the compounding and finishing steps. However, generally you can get away with just using the Superbuff Pad 3M-05700 for boat compound and polish applications. You can use both sides of it--one for compounding and one for finishing, if you like. It requires the 3M-05710 Mandrel Adapter.

Step 3 Waxing: After the boat polish is applied, the final step is to protect your finish with a wax. Use 3M-09030 Marine Ultra Performance Wax. It's important that you seal and protect the finish with a good wax to maintain the gloss that you just acquired. You can use any old rag to apply it but the rag will become clogged with the wax and eventually become pretty ineffective.

The 3M High Performance Cloth (3M-67408) is textured in a way that somehow doesn't absorb the wax so that it brings out a great finish. Once you use one, you'll never go back.