Brushed Aluminum Dash Panel Replacement

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
I'm getting the boat ready for the upcoming season and am going to put some of those Gaffrig trim rings on my gauges to spruce it up a bit (getting new upholstery as well). I pulled off my dash panel to look at how the gauges come out and realized that the panel the gauges are mounted in has seen better days.<br /><br />I thought it would look pretty nice to replace the gauge panel with one made of brushed aluminum in a complementary color to the rest of the interior. I can use the existing panel as a template for the mounting screw holes and the gauge openings.<br /><br />I'm stumped on where to start - I think this might require a machine shop, but don't really know. Has anyone out there tried something like this? Maybe a custom street rod shop or something similar?

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Brushed Aluminum Dash Panel Replacement

Go to a hardware store. The Lowes near me sells small sheets of decrative metal. I got a piece of aluminum diamond treat and made my dash panel. Lowes had brass, plain aluminum, diamond tread aluminum, and some punched pattern metal.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

or just pop into a aluminium fabricator or metal shop, tell em what ya want. shouldnt cost too much.<br />cheers

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks - I'll give it those options a try.

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks - I'll give those options a try and see what I can come up with.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I've been sort of thinking about trying this for my 'project boat' (if it ever sees the light of day):<br /> Engine Turning.<br /><br />It would be pretty simple to setup with a peice of pegboard and a drill press. A little tedious, but you would have something unique.

Ralph 123

Captain

Before you go for a custom fab, search around on eBay. You can find complete OEM dash panels, many fully populated and wired, ready to be installed. Most are pennies on the dollar.

Moody Blue

Captain

Most larger kitchen counter mfrs have access to a vast assortment of plastic laminates. You can get them in almost any color, pattern and texture. There are many, many metalic finishes to choose from. Aluminum, stainless, pewter, brass, copper, to name a few. You can simply laminate the product on to a substrate (say 1/8" aluminum panel) and cut holes where desired to nount your gauges. Its completely waterproof, almost indestructable and easy to work with.