Broken Rod End

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMG_20210701_010442930.jpg

I have a Teleflex HC5313 with a broken Rod End, looks like corrosion caused it to bind. Luckily I had twins to maneuver time home.

My question is do you think there is any option for a replacement part with on the cylinder, or am I stuck just purchasing a whole new cylinder?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks like both need replacement.----And a total inspection of all steering bits needs to be done.----Visit a good fab shop for parts.-----Mc Master-Carr----Might have bits in their book.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've seen bad, but that is worse than any I've seen. Must be in salt?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have never seen that much corrosion, even in salt water. Did he ever hose her off after use?

I would replace the whole system, helm to motor.

Bondo

Staff member
My question is do you think there is any option for a replacement part with on the cylinder, or am I stuck just purchasing a whole new cylinder?

Ayuh,..... That's a hiem joint,.... available at 'bout any decent industrial supply house,....

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Following up on this, basic tie rod end, in fact I guess it's stainless somehow but still has rust on it. Can't see behind the hose but there's a threaded nut on there that holds it on. Came right off and swapped it out for another $100 tie rod end made by teleflex.

oddly there really isn't much corrosion on anything in the engine bay this is the only piece. I wonder if some wires disconnected that would normally be connected to this to prevent this type of corrosion. Lots of green wires in the engine bay keeping everything connected

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yes, there should be a bonding wire to the rudders/steering rods. Green number 8 wire. If it's not there, it will corrode.