Broken Driveshaft

zx2max

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2022
Messages
19
I was running a newly purchased boat out of the water with the muffs and they slipped off. I noticed it within about 8 seconds but by then it was too late. I cut the engine but I could smell burning rubber so I knew I probably destroyed my impeller. However, it was much worse. When I dropped the lower unit I realized the driveshaft was snapped in half. I just ordered a used one off ebay but I know nothing about repairing boat motors so any tips on undertaking this repair are greatly appreciated. It's a 1979 Evinrude 70hp motor. I did acquire a repair manual to help me out. My question is what other damage might I have caused with the driveshaft breaking? Anything else I should be checking out while attempting to fix this motor?
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,966
Inspect powerhead carefully before spending beer tokens on lower unit !!----Should have taken it apart before ordering the shaft.---Gearcase needs to come all apart to replace the shaft.-----Large snap ring pliers required.------Need to shim the parts for assembly.-------Where did the shaft break ?-----I suspect major damage inside gearcase !
 

zx2max

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2022
Messages
19
Oh boy! I am pretty handy at mechanical repairs but boats are a whole new beast for me. Anything in particular I should look for in the powerhead? I should have all necessary tools including snap ring pliers to do the disassembly. Though I am definitely worried about other damage inside the gearcase. How do I properly shim the parts when reassembling? I'd like to tackle this project versus paying a professional so I can start to learn how everything works. But wondering if I should just take it to a shop. Here is a pic of where the driveshaft broke. IMG_20220502_200025.jpg
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,966
Used lower unit is going to be your best option !!!-----If in Canada----evinrudeparts.ca----Is one place to try.
 

zx2max

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2022
Messages
19
Unfortunately, I'm in the States not Canada. But I will start shopping around for a used lower unit. Thanks for your help!
 

Crosbyman

Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
6,260
been boating 60 years never seen a broken drive shaft from shock or rust ..... but most will say I am no mechanic.

I stay awake at knight thinking...how is the rest of that engine ?? :)
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,237
Unfortunately I have heard of broken driveshafts on that vintage Evinrude 90HP engines. No gearbox damage, they just snapped. I assumed it was a design flaw.......
 

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
14,686
Before you spend money on another gearcase, make sure the Powerhead is not damaged. Scored Cylinders/Pistons and warped Heads are common Features of overheated engines. I suspect that Overheating would be one of the reasons the previous owner sold it
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,966
Had a phone call 42 years ago.-----Fellow described what happened and what 40 HP motor was doing.-----I diagnosed it over the phone.-----Broken driveshaft.------When a powerhead and lower unit are not perfectly in line the driveshaft flexes.----And over time it snaps.-----Fellow drove 1/2 hr to visit.----Showed him the broken shaft in front of his eyes.-----He left shaking his head.-----He used to bring over some moose steaks / venison / carribou whenever he needed more work done.-----That was before internet days.
 
Top