broken bolts-can I use a helicoil?

Dershman

Seaman Apprentice
In removing the water cover 2 of the bolts snapped. I have tried using an "easy-out" with no success. The easy out broke off. The bolts are not coming out.<br /><br />The way I see it I have 2 options:<br />1)drill out the old bolt and re-tap the hole leaving me with 2 holes / bolts of a larger size than the rest; and <br />2) drill out the old bolt and insert a helicoil -(threaded bolt jacket)into the hole allowing me to use all bolts of the same size which means less to remember next time it has to be taken apart.<br /><br />My question is canI use a helicoil in a marine environment? If so what material should it be made of? Who makes it?<br />thanks

bkusa_2

Cadet
Re: broken bolts-can I use a helicoil?

hey i had a problem with starter box bolts i used a epoxy for metal filled void let harden drill tap given me no problems

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Helicoils are great for repairs. Most or all are 18-8 stainless so use antisieze generously. Aerospace/aircraft parts never put bolt or studs directly into aluminum- into Helicoils instead.Outboards should be the same bcause they're surely not cheap. Good sources are NAPA-close, but, expensive; MSC industial supply--there will surely be a store in the Boston outskirts; J&L Industrial Supply also in Boston area. Good Luck!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you haven't been able to get the broken piece of the ez out removed try a carbide tipped tile cutter in a dremel tool to grind it out. With a steady hand it will grind it right up then drill out the broken stud and insert a helicoil.