Broke Down!

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the thread and new to Johnsons. I have a 2001, 30hp Johnson. Model J30EVLSIA. I've had it for 3 years now and have had it serviced at a shop up until now. I'm trying to save money in repairs so I'm taking it upon my self now. At the end of the season last year (I held out until the end of November:eek:) on my last trip back to the marina the engine stopped running.

It had been starting to run rough (stalling out) on the trip to the cottage. The next day coming back it was running even rougher, stalling constantly. The only way I could keep it running was by pumping the gas line bulb with my foot as I drove. As soon as I stopped pumping, the engine would stall. Eventually, even doing that the engine wouldn't keep running. Luckily, there was still one cottager left on the river who pulled me in.

I'm guessing it might be the fuel pump but wanted to get people's opinons before working on it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks
Tim

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Broke Down!

Sounds fuelpumpish,but also sounds like a clogged fuel filter,or water contamination.....just start checking things...

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broke Down!

And check your spark on an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16 ".